Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-27-2010, 01:54 AM
Banned

Question Reloading Question Regarding Bullet Type

I wanted to try reloading for a hobby but before I ran out to buy a kit I borrowed my friends kit. I have alot of reading/studying to do before I start anything but I wanted to ask you reloading gurus what your suggestions were for bullet type for the type of guns and type of hunting that I'll be doing. I don't know enough about the powder load to ask that question right now.

1. Savage model 111 in 3006 - Hunting deer - I was thinking on 165 gr Hunting Ballistic Tip Nosler Bullets.

2. Stevens 200 in 22-250 - Hunting Yotes - I was thinking on 50 gr Varmint Ballistic Tip Nosler Bullets.

Up until this year I was using 180 gr 3006 factory for my deer but I'd like to go down to a lighter bullet if the accuracy/performance will not be greatly effected.

The 22-250 and hunting yotes are new to me but basically I want to try to save the hide.

Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:44 AM

Both bullets you list should serve your purpose well.

Continue reading, and make sure you purchase a couple up to date manuals to go along with your new found hobby.

Good luck.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-27-2010, 06:44 AM

I can help with #1

I like to believe that the 165 grain bullets offer the best overall performance in the .30-06. For deer you don't really need any fancy fancy bullets and in my opinion for the cost of bonded/all copper bullets I'd rather spend the money with less expensive bullets at the range.

For the .30-06 IMR 4350 is a very very common powder and in some of my manuals is the most accurate powder tested for the 165 gain bullet weight.

I would check out the SST's, ballistic tips, and gamekings.

This past fall I shot two deer within 10 minutes of each other.

My load was

168 grain Nosler CT ballistic tips (I would go with the standard 165 if I were to do it again as I can't justify the extra $$ for 3 grains.)
Factory loaded once fired Remington brass
Fed 210 primers
52.0 grains IMR 4350
This load traveled at 2550 fps - 22" tube

The reason I used the min load was that my 1st eight shots looked like this

I worked up to 57.0 grains (book max) and was getting 2815 fps.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:03 AM

the 50r Varmit balistic tips are great for coyotes. We use them them with 39 grains of H380 powder. We find them to be super accurate and usually drop a coyote in its tracks. usually no pass through so the hide is mostly intact. The H380 powder is a fine grain and meters very nice. Good luck with you new hobby.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 AM

Looks like you are well on your way towards a very rewarding hobby!

The other guys have given some very good advise. The bullets that you have selected will do well for the selected applications.

Your next project is to buy a couple reloading manuals and doing some lite bathroom reading!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 01-27-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I can help with #1

I like to believe that the 165 grain bullets offer the best overall performance in the .30-06. For deer you don't really need any fancy fancy bullets and in my opinion for the cost of bonded/all copper bullets I'd rather spend the money with less expensive bullets at the range.

For the .30-06 IMR 4350 is a very very common powder and in some of my manuals is the most accurate powder tested for the 165 gain bullet weight.

I would check out the SST's, ballistic tips, and gamekings.
x2
Old 01-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

Well, I did manage to make it to WSS today and I picked up the bullets that I had mentioned except, I got 55 gr bullets instead of the 50 gr for the 22-250. One problem....No Primers of any kind in the store!!!

I have alot of homework to do before I need the primers anyway.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:26 PM

Welcome to a very rewarding hobby ! Don't expect much in the way of $$ savings though because you will simply shoot twice as much as you ever did .... but it will build confidence in your equipment. Also tremendously satisfying when you find that "right load".

I have found the ballistic tips to be very accurate bullets, and they consistently produce the tightest groups in my hunting loads. I don't shoot a 30-06 but would agree that the 165s are to the '06 what the 130s are to my 270s and 140s to my 7-08. I have found the Ballistic tips adequate for deer and have found that they open up very quickly. I (personally) would not use them for anything bigger than deer sized game.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Banned

Thanks. My 3006 is going to be specifically for hunting deer. That's why I chose the 165 gr bullet. I have a 300 win mag for moose & elk but I don't have enough empty casings to worry about reloading those. Before getting the 300 I was using the 3006 for moose and elk as well but I was using a 180 gr bullet. That's how I ended up with enough 06 casings to start reloading.

So far so good. I have the powder type that was mentioned (IMR 4350) and it looks like the bullet that I selected is going to work well.

Now for a little reading and checking out youtube. If I find something good on there I'm going to put my laptop on the work bench and do the old play & pause trick. That's how I learned how to butcher my deer and moose so it should work well with reloading as well!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Now for a little reading and checking out youtube. If I find something good on there I'm going to put my laptop on the work bench and do the old play & pause trick. That's how I learned how to butcher my deer and moose so it should work well with reloading as well!
Word of caution. I do not have first hand experience of this, but have heard & read that having electronic devices (laptops/cells etc...) in close proximity can affect your powder scale readings.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Banned

Thanks Lonewolf. I'll do the powder part in the next room. If the laptop doesn't throw the scale out of wack, the fusebox 5 feet away might.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:18 AM

"I personally don't like lead in the game I eat so I use TSX, or TTSX for game my family and I consume. Yotes and varmites seem to like the taste of lead, though, so the cheaper the bullets the better. not saying lead will contamiate all the meat, I guess I just prefure the taste of Copper.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:44 PM

Yup i'd get imr 4350, Varget, H 4350 to start on the 30 06. For bullets i'd buy some accubonds, partitions,Hunting Balistic tips, And start at your min loads then work up in .5 gr of powder until groups get smaller or until you see pressure signs. Allways go by books! check zero on scale often and have fun. The more you read the more tricks you will learn, the more you test and tinker the tighter the groups get.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:32 PM

Personally i like the Nosler 150's or 165's in ballistic tips because they are cheap and also because if you want a better bullet for more penetration you can load accu-bonds up in the same weight and they shoot exactly the same......no re-zeroing the scope.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:52 AM

For your 22-250, try 35gr of winchester 748 behind a 55gr nosler bt. This seems to be a very accurate load for mine. Usually shoots sub1/2in groups. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful obsession of reloading. Sounds like your off on a good start.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Thanks Lonewolf. I'll do the powder part in the next room. If the laptop doesn't throw the scale out of wack, the fusebox 5 feet away might.

fuse box???

no way.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:52 AM

When I first caught wind of the talk of electronic scales acting up around electronics I decided to see if i could get mine to do some weird things as others have claimed.

I tried calling the house cordless phone with it right next to my electronic scale from my cell phone, nope no change, with either a empty pan or one with a charge on it. Then I tried the opposite, and called my cell phone, nope nothing.
I tried the kids I-pod, a CFL bulb in a trouble light, an electric razor, nothing.

I don't know if I'm lucky or what, but I can't seem to get my electronic scale to act weird from electromagnetic interference.

Maybe this is one for Mythbusters?

There are no absolutes
Old 01-29-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad925 View Post
Personally i like the Nosler 150's or 165's in ballistic tips because they are cheap and also because if you want a better bullet for more penetration you can load accu-bonds up in the same weight and they shoot exactly the same......no re-zeroing the scope.
X2 they group very close also.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:00 PM

your 55 gr's should work very well out of a 22-250..
165's in 06 are a good choice ... look into hornady's,they are a bit harder but shot well out of my rifles...stay away from the expensive bullets till you find out what your rifle likes,what you like,and you have some more experiance, then go for the premium stuff .

Buy at least 2 reloading manuals read them from cover to cover and have fun

- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.