Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-16-2007, 07:46 AM

Question Browning Abolt

Leaning toward buying an abolt in 3006. Any one hear any good/bad things about these rifles? is BOSS worth getting? do they have flimzy plastic Mags or steel/alloy mags? anything i need knowing?
Old 09-16-2007, 08:27 AM

The A Bolt rifle's seem to create a bit of heightened debate when brought up on other boards.
While having some nice features it appears a couple of big detractions keep rearing their head with these rifles.
Triggers: not adjustable and too dang complex to be a do it yourself, also it appears gunsmiths dont like to work on them either.
Magazines: steel floor plate mounted scissor spring design, that binds or jams up to any small amount of grit or dirt.(too tight of tollerences)

And then there is the BOSS:
No need in a 30'06, the harmonic tuning feature is another instant fix gadget designed to make you spend your money. That money can be spent finding out what the rifle likes and getting practiced up shooting.
And the muzzle brake feature, well lets just say read a few posts below about muzzle brakes.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-16-2007, 08:40 AM
stubblejumper

Having owned an A-bolt with boss myself,I will never own another.I agree with Dick about the magazine and trigger,both are over designed with too many parts.I absolutely hated the boss as it took as rounds to tune it, as it normally takes me to develop a handload for a rifle.It must be retuned for each individual load as well.Mine also kept coming loose which changes the point of impact.The boss equipped rifles have shorter barrels to compensate for the length of the boss which results in less velocity produced than with non boss rifles.Lastly,the standard boss makes the rifle so loud,that a single shot without hearing protection can cause your ears to ring for hours,which is a sign that some hearing damage has occurred.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Gone Hunting

Hey, talking of Brownings, I need to know. I had heard afew years ago {now i cant remember all that well, so dont call me an idiot}. But had heard that on one of their rifles, or mabey more than one model, they werent designed to have the barrel removed, and that if something happened or a barrel ended up shot out, it was basically a throw away gun??? Is this correct, or was/am i, or was/is, the other guy smokin crack??? Just doesnt seem to make any sence to me at all, but i heard that.

keep a strain on er.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:55 AM

I have to agree with everything said by Dick and StubbleJumper. Also I just think that Browning prices their rifles too high as compared to other manufacturers.

Never used a boss. I just think all those things are way too noisy. Also, defiently not req'd for a 30.06.

Packnhuntr, for some reason I thought I'd heard something like that also. But I don't recall when or from who. The abolt I own is about 16 - 17 yrs old. So I'm hoping that if they do that to their bbls, that they didn't do it back then. As I do have plans down the road for this rifle.

It's true as mentioned that smith's don't like working on brownings. Reason I've heard is that the set up time on their part to start working on the action is much more involved than say with a remington (they love working one remington's). But I've also read that browning actions tend to come out of the factory more "trued" than say a remington.

Personally I wouldn't buy another browning. I just think they're too overpiced. And adjusting the trigger below 3lbs becomes a real bugger.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:58 AM
stubblejumper

Quote:
But had heard that on one of their rifles, or mabey more than one model, they werent designed to have the barrel removed, and that if something happened or a barrel ended up shot out, it was basically a throw away gun??? Is this correct, or was/am i, or was/is, the other guy smokin crack??? Just doesnt seem to make any sence to me at all, but i heard that.
According to my gunbuilder,The a-bolts barrels were installed using a thread locking compound that makes the barrel difficult to remove.Not impossible,but difficult.Because of this,some gunsmiths refused to rebarrel a-bolts.I can't tell you if this is still the case,as I have seen a couple of rebarreled a- bolts lately.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:08 AM

They dont have Box Mags? i was under the impression they did.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:16 AM

Nope, floor mounted detachable mags on Abolts, similar but not identical to BAR's and BBR's.
The spring for the floor plate is actually a scissor type affair with too tight of tollerences, a bit of grit or gunk and things will foul up big time.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-16-2007, 11:55 AM

hmm that puts a wrench in things :S
Lets settle this, what brands offer a good solid detach mag box? 60 degree bolt lift and solid stock?
Old 09-16-2007, 12:00 PM

I think you've gone into a relm of non existance.
I am not a detachable mag fan, as you might have already gathered. K.I.S.S is my moto.
60Degree Vs 90degree is all marketing hype. They all work, and work very well. If you want faster cycling think pump or semi. and frankly if you cant do it with shot #1 what do you recon your gaining with shots 2, 3 or 4?
But I degress.
There is one other option I over looked, Tikka T3.
Reasonably priced and a great reputation for accuracy.
check em out.
http://www.russellsports.com/files/61-80hs06.pdf

There are no absolutes
Old 09-16-2007, 12:05 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
what brands offer a good solid detach mag box? 60 degree bolt lift and solid stock?
The 60 degree bolt lift narrows it down considerably.The sako rifles have the three lug bolt,a very good detachable magazine,and a solid stock.They also offer a 1" accuracy guarantee,but they aren't cheap.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:10 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
60Degree Vs 90degree is all marketing hype. They all work, and work very well. If you want faster cycling think pump or semi. and frankly if you cant do it with shot #1 what do you recon your gaining with shots 2, 3 or 4?
But I degress.
There is one other option I over looked, Tikka T3.
Reasonably priced and a great reputation for accuracy.
check em out.
Good advice on the T-3.As for the 60 vs 90,my own rifles all have 90degree bolts,and they offer plenty of scope clearance and are quick to cycle.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:18 PM

ya, scope clearance was my big thing, cycling, not so much (depends on how many tags i have vs a herd)

main issue is, i dont want to have a rifle that falls appart on me in the field because of shoddy parts, whether they be plastic mags or just lack of worksmanship.

thnx for the replies guys.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:21 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
main issue is, i dont want to have a rifle that falls appart on me in the field because of shoddy parts, whether they be plastic mags or just lack of worksmanship.
The synthetic magazines used by Tikka are just as durable as most metal magazines,and you don't have to worry about the feeding lips getting bent.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:23 PM

I've had my .270 win since the first year they came out. NEVER had any problem with the clip or the gun. I've taken the clip apart probably 2-3 times in total. I don't know how much dirt and crud got into said rifle that played havic with the shells feeding threw as expected but I usually don't hunt in sand storms on a regulas basis. Great gun and worth every penny.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:33 PM

I own an a-bolt in 7 mag an i will never own another one, the bolt is very stiff, the mag set-up is very stupid and i cant get my trigger done in an affordable fashion
Old 09-16-2007, 04:28 PM

The bolt on my gun isn't as nice as the Sako I used to own but a hell of a lot smoother than any Remington I ever had my hands on.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:19 PM

I have a 25-06 in the A-bolt always done well shot nice and very happy with the rifle.

I still have the 25 still like it but I have since bought two lowly Savages and to be honest the A-Bolt comes up short in every area other than the bolt feels smoother saying that the savage bolt lands perfect every time the barrels cant be beat and the Accu trigger is as good as any on the market the only thing on the savage i don't love is the stock but you will have lots of spare cash to upgrade that if you wan't

Oh yeah nothing wrong with the box mag either feeds nice simple and reliable.

Last edited by Donny Bear; 09-19-2007 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Add on
Old 09-26-2007, 09:15 PM

I bought my first A-bolt 15 years ago in 7mm Rem Mag. I've shot all kinds of Deer and Moose with it in rain, snow, dirt, whatever, and never had a problem with it. Bought a new one last year in 7mm-08 and no issues so far. Love the tang safety, short throw, detachable mag.
I'm not trying to benchrest one hole groups with either of them, mind you.
My two cents.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:31 AM

Don't know what's so wrong with them, I own a Stainless Stalker in 280 rem and I like it alot! Shoot's as good as any rifles I'v ever owned ! Each to there own I guess
Old 09-27-2007, 08:43 AM

Never heard of a Tikka mag breaking. They have also come down a lot in price. They used to be over $100 . Obviously Sako is superior but they are pricey.

I have a T3 in 30-06, love it. Dropped our last moose with open sights in low light with it. I need a stock for it though, going through a house fire is not good on the hunting gear.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:51 AM

I've had a Stainless Stalker 30-06 for a number of years - accurate out of the box, crisp trigger. It does not have the BOSS system. Stock has not been babied. Detachable magazines have worked just fine. No jam-ups in feeding. It has never let me down while hunting. I don't regret getting this rifle at all - it is one of my favorite rifles.

I also have a Tikka T3 Lite that I like as well, shoots accurately, polymer magazines have stood up to being driven over by truck, stoutly built stock, etc.

Didn't care for either Remington's or Winchester's offerings when I was shopping around and Tikkas at that time were hard to get. Even with Browning's offerings a bit more $$ than the rest, I went with them as Browning's Stalker was the best in my view.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:07 AM

Buy a remington CDL 30-06 if you are after a rifle that is going to be accurate, dependable and field proven. This will also provide a base for anything else you would like to build in the future. I have 22-250 LWVS, 243 LSS, 270 ti, 30-06Ti and an 300 win 700 action, HS precision that have all proven themselves. The key is getting a remington with a ridgid stock (ie wood or good composite like the Ti's or laminate). The BDL synthetic stock is crap and as long as you know it when you are ready to buy just find a replacement stock or buy the wood.
Anyway, just my $.02
Oh and make sure the rifle fits you and is very comfortable. The brownings all seem like they are too short for me.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
Having owned an A-bolt with boss myself,I will never own another.I agree with Dick about the magazine and trigger,both are over designed with too many parts.I absolutely hated the boss as it took as rounds to tune it, as it normally takes me to develop a handload for a rifle.It must be retuned for each individual load as well.Mine also kept coming loose which changes the point of impact.The boss equipped rifles have shorter barrels to compensate for the length of the boss which results in less velocity produced than with non boss rifles.Lastly,the standard boss makes the rifle so loud,that a single shot without hearing protection can cause your ears to ring for hours,which is a sign that some hearing damage has occurred.
Totaly agree here, (no pun intended) I had a BOSS in a A-Bolt 300 Win Mag, I sold it due to the noise. Shot like a 243 so if you are at the range and wearing hearing protection great, but for hunting you will start to flinch at the noise rather than the recoil.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:13 AM

The Tikka has a bit shorter stock as well. It seems to fit someone 5'9" or under the best.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:07 PM

Own a 300wm Browning w/boss for more that 8yrs,no problems as described above,as accurate as they come,just have learnt to cinch down the old block heater a bit while hunting as she does bark a wee bit, especially if you shoot into the wind...
Old 09-28-2007, 01:20 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
just have learnt to cinch down the old block heater a bit while hunting as she does bark a wee bit, especially if you shoot into the wind...
Unfortunately simply ignoring the extra noise caused by the muzzle brake will not prevent permanent damage to your hearing.The only way to prevent the permanent hearing damage caused by muzzle brakes is to wear hearing protection for each and every shot.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:12 PM

I said WHAT!
Too true Stubblejumper.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-28-2007, 09:08 PM

Wink

I picked up a Browing A-bolt Stalker B/B last year in a 270 wsm. It is the first gun I have bought in a long time as most of the guns I own are Browning's. As a reloader the new gun wasen't that much fun as the first load I tried 130gr at 3200fps. 1/2 @100yds.

This gun feels as smooth as they come and it worked in -40 and snow last year. I don't know about the sand thing I haven't ran over this one yet.