Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Banned

Default Summer coyote hunting ethical ?

Seen a thread about coyote hunting and it seems some people think coyotes only eat mice and gophers in the summer, wonder where did they learn this. Get outdoors and spend some time people. My coyote hunting success in the summer months doesnt drop off 75% like some people claim. If you know how to call and what your doing, the summer months can be more productive than winter. I wont get into any of the proven data on coyote mortality rates and what is needed to drop coyote numbers beyond a sustainable level, but one thing for sure is your not going to make the coyote extinct by shooting them in the summer, pups or no pups. Pretty much everyone here is a whitetail fanatic, so do your deer herd a helpful boost by getting out and shooting some coyotes. My pictures will maybe inspire you to not think so highly of the cute and cuddly coyote. If twin fawns with mature does are rare sights, and instead you see one fawn for every two or more does, it might mean coyotes or other predators are devouring much of the "fawn crop" each summer. That's because scientific research shows coyote predation on fawns kill more deer than herds can replace in some areas.Coyote impacts vary, however, depending on their population, their habitat and food options and the deer herd's size.Coyote predation is as natural as human predation on deer. And, as such, it's not necessarily a bad thing when deer herds are at or exceeding habitat limits; after all, when deer herds overpopulate they can be destructive to ecosystems. It is time to pay attention, however, if deer herds crash in your local area. Thats my two cents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coyote.jpg (124.7 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg doe.jpg (123.5 KB, 393 views)
Old 07-08-2010, 10:36 PM

I pasted one 50 yds from my kids playground yesterday. Didn't bother me in the slightest.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 07-08-2010, 11:02 PM

the only good coyote is a dead coyote.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:06 PM

Coyote pup headrests would be sweet in the duramax.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:26 PM

to answer your question absolutly not
Old 07-08-2010, 11:29 PM

I've thrown lead at them on religious holidays and once on the way to a wedding.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Banned

only once i couldnt shoot one. shot its mom and it cried at me......so my buddy whacked it!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berjerkin View Post
the only good coyote is a dead coyote.
Agreed. Open season all year as far as im concerned. I sure dont think twice about pulling the trigger on one of those little buggers in the summer time.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:00 AM

Old 07-09-2010, 09:19 AM

My preference is to shoot them when thier fur is prime and try to get something out of it, but that is just me and to be honest I have left some lay over the years.

A balanced predator / prey population is good for the whole chain, but that means in general hunting predators is required at least for the "settled" parts of the world.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Banned

A coyote is always in its prime when i see it, well that is until my gun goes BOOM. I just posted the coyote with fawn in its mouth to show some of these arm chair biologists on here that coyotes dont eat just mice and gophers, and for the people who ranted and raved on the guy who said he harvests coyotes in the summer, yet they will be the ones spending hours in the field to harvest a deer this fall. Seem likes so many ppl on here know everything, that is until they open there mouth and remove all doubt that they are idiots. Let the bashing begin.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Banned

i have pasted pups on canada day...no problems here
Old 07-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Banned

i have shot so many coyotes that they wont come within a half mile of the house now and i haven't educated any of them. i leave the bodies on the fence line as a warning.

i think it's time to get a hardcore sniper rifle so i can get them out to a mile or something crazy like that.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 AM

I have never shot a yote in the summer. But having said that I do try to get out once a week in the winter. As for the ethical part of the question, I don't see why not farmers and acreage folk seem to be hassled by them all the time. Dogs barking late at night, Sheep and other livestock be disrupted or worse. I would agree that a balance of predator and prey is best. The population of said region would be the best indicator. I never have looked down or been upset with someone who does shoot in the summer. I just don't do it myself. Happy hunting! Cooter.

Last edited by The cooter; 07-09-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
Agreed. Open season all year as far as im concerned. I sure dont think twice about pulling the trigger on one of those little buggers in the summer time.
x2 I realy never hunted the rats in the summer ....too much time spent at the lake drinking cold beer,but if I have the chance I would hunt them all year round, there is way too many yotes around here.

Last edited by yamaha 1; 07-09-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:06 AM
40inchtwister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Coyote pup headrests would be sweet in the duramax.

thats awsome
Old 07-09-2010, 11:32 AM

Funny that the woman just messages me and said, crazy coyotes howling all over the place at almost noon.

Heard someones cat get it the other day.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
Seen a thread about coyote hunting and it seems some people think coyotes only eat mice and gophers in the summer, wonder where did they learn this. Get outdoors and spend some time people. My coyote hunting success in the summer months doesnt drop off 75% like some people claim. If you know how to call and what your doing, the summer months can be more productive than winter. I wont get into any of the proven data on coyote mortality rates and what is needed to drop coyote numbers beyond a sustainable level, but one thing for sure is your not going to make the coyote extinct by shooting them in the summer, pups or no pups. Pretty much everyone here is a whitetail fanatic, so do your deer herd a helpful boost by getting out and shooting some coyotes. My pictures will maybe inspire you to not think so highly of the cute and cuddly coyote. If twin fawns with mature does are rare sights, and instead you see one fawn for every two or more does, it might mean coyotes or other predators are devouring much of the "fawn crop" each summer. That's because scientific research shows coyote predation on fawns kill more deer than herds can replace in some areas.Coyote impacts vary, however, depending on their population, their habitat and food options and the deer herd's size.Coyote predation is as natural as human predation on deer. And, as such, it's not necessarily a bad thing when deer herds are at or exceeding habitat limits; after all, when deer herds overpopulate they can be destructive to ecosystems. It is time to pay attention, however, if deer herds crash in your local area. Thats my two cents.
someone will likely correct me but pretty sure i have it in my head from sources that coyotes get about 25% of the fawns each year...
Old 07-09-2010, 12:26 PM

Not only head rests for the Duramax but slippers for the ol' ladys birthday! Cute and Cozy hahah.... but serious yep kill'em all!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
I've thrown lead at them on religious holidays and once on the way to a wedding.
OMFG THAT IS FUNNY!!!!!

I bwaaaaaahahahahahahaaa'd for a long time after that one.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Banned

To answer the question:

Absolutely 100 percent.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
To answer the question:

Absolutely 100 percent.
agreed sorry about my first post I seem tohave missed the" WHY" in there. So Lets try that again " absoulutley WHY not". Them buggers get into everything they are opportunist, house cats, dogs rabbits Pheasant, and yes very hard on the fawn population I have even seen them lined up at our BFI bin in the winter waiting for the magpies to get in and drop a few scraps.

Sorry should finish reading before i hit send.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:39 AM

If you have to ask you're either baiting people to respond or are have second thoughts yourself.A pest is a pest 24 hrs a day 365 days a year.........JMO..Harold
Old 07-10-2010, 08:44 AM

I don't go out deliberately hunting them. Hard to find the time. However we have a rule around here, if they're in range from the yard they're done. Doesn't matter what day it is. Rifle is by the door and the wife is happy to use it as well.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
If you have to ask you're either baiting people to respond or are have second thoughts yourself.A pest is a pest 24 hrs a day 365 days a year.........JMO..Harold
You must not of read my initial post, i kill them 365 days a year, always pack iron. I posted pics of the coyote with a fawn in its mouth to show some of these idiots on here they dont eat just mice and gophers like they claim. Glad to hear everyone elses response and stories of shooting them on the way to weddings,etc. Love it.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:36 PM

Default Ethics

I don't think anyone can transfer their ethics to another person especially on this question. I watched one sneak across the field just south of my cattle shelter Wednesday morning and decided to test her to see if I could get in the house to grab the rifle. as soon as I opened barn door she was running. hearing the pups most every night around 11 as she takes them out hunting but for me I would just as soon wait until November to December when they are a serious threat to my bird operation. Right now they have more than enough food so won't try to get in pens.
Local farmer was having trouble with them a few years ago and located active den so I sat on side hill one day and shot everything that emerged including 3 pups. utilized them by taking them to a local taxidermist and convincing him they would make an interesting advertising mount for his "growing business" rather than me just waste them.
I hav3e no problem with anyone who takes them out 365 days a year as they are vermin. I just love hunting them in the winter when tyhe fur is prime so I can collect a bag of prime fur.
Rob
Old 07-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Default Not ethical in any season

This isn't going to be a popular opinion on here, but you asked so: shooting coyotes (and gophers) is mostly just plain sick in my book, it doesn't matter what season. There are times where a coyote is threatening someone or something and deserves to get shot, but killing something just to kill it is weak.

A given ecosystem will (and yes, I am an armchair biologist, anyone who hunts is) will support a certain amount of anything. There will be pulses and crashes, but we can shoot deer and there are more next year because a system will support X deer roughly. So, most of the time, killing coyotes or gophers is at best a waste of time and at worst, well, sick and worse.

I don't want or expect agreement out of too many people here, but that's how I see it. If people would leave the coyotes alone (exceptions for ranchers with new calves or coyotes in urban areas etc) then the deer population wouldn't get too out of whack etc. etc.

I'll now go put my flame-proof suit on or just ignore this thread as I do most of 'em.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansgunsghandi View Post
This isn't going to be a popular opinion on here, but you asked so: shooting coyotes (and gophers) is mostly just plain sick in my book, it doesn't matter what season. There are times where a coyote is threatening someone or something and deserves to get shot, but killing something just to kill it is weak.

A given ecosystem will (and yes, I am an armchair biologist, anyone who hunts is) will support a certain amount of anything. There will be pulses and crashes, but we can shoot deer and there are more next year because a system will support X deer roughly. So, most of the time, killing coyotes or gophers is at best a waste of time and at worst, well, sick and worse.

I don't want or expect agreement out of too many people here, but that's how I see it. If people would leave the coyotes alone (exceptions for ranchers with new calves or coyotes in urban areas etc) then the deer population wouldn't get too out of whack etc. etc.

I'll now go put my flame-proof suit on or just ignore this thread as I do most of 'em.
I think if you were to see how bad Coyote's and Gophers have become in certain areas of Alberta and Sask and the damage they have caused you would quickly change your opinion. Loose a few family pets or livestock to coyotes or have animals hurt crops and fields destroyed by gophers and you will quickly change to the kill them all opinion. Weather IMOP plays a bigger role in deer populations then predators as far as I am concerned.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansgunsghandi View Post

Fair enough

But seeings how both coyotes and whitetail deer where not present in the area of Alberta where I live till after european settlement altered the landscape improving it for both species by opening it up and cutting down the competition from the native species eg. wolf, elk ..how do we manage them?

EDIT Gophers as well...cant see them having been at the #s they presently are here in the southern boreal/ northern parkland transition zone.

Last edited by IR_mike; 07-10-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:53 PM

I shoot gophers and coyotes any chance I get.