Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-23-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Ar- 180b

Has anyone shot an armalite 180b thinking about getting one just wanted to know what they are like for accuraccy, as well as what stores sell them in Alberta, live in Calgary area.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:28 AM
-NDN-

P&D has them time to time, not to bad for accuracy, (got it, shot it, sold it) a hell of a fun gun if you dont have a restricted licence and cant buy an AR. Check CGN, under the EE forum, "Exchange of Modern Military and Black Rifles" section. They appear there
Old 09-24-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NDN- View Post
P&D has them time to time, not to bad for accuracy, (got it, shot it, sold it) a hell of a fun gun if you dont have a restricted licence and cant buy an AR. Check CGN, under the EE forum, "Exchange of Modern Military and Black Rifles" section. They appear there
So the AR 180 is non-restricted?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:37 PM

Default yup its unrestricted

The one model is. I thinkin of getting 1 also.
http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/def...scid=12&pid=35
Old 09-25-2007, 07:30 AM
-NDN-

you should get a restricted licence though... its more fun Buy a handgun and support a liberal
Old 09-25-2007, 07:31 AM
-NDN-

but yeah, ive seen ar180's on CGN for 1200 decked out with extra mags and other toys. the one i had for a while i paid a guy $1300 and change for shipping and it was fun, but i sold it to fund a sexy handgun
Old 09-25-2007, 07:43 AM

Well if it is unrestricted could somebody tell me the difference between that rifle and a AR-15.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 600DSCN1451.jpg (26.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by honda450; 09-25-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Well if it is unrestricted could somebody tell me the difference between that rifle and a AR-15.
Are you trying to find logic in the whole scheme of gun laws.
It aint gonna happen because the whole damn thing is ill logical. This is a loop hole the lefties want shut, bringing it up over and over just keeps reminding them their work to screw us over is not complete, this is one of those things where you STFU.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-25-2007, 10:42 AM

Yeah, just what I thought NOTHING
Old 09-28-2007, 06:50 AM

AR15's were specifically classed as restricted firearms. Since only the trigger group is interchangeable with the AR15 and nothing else the AR180b could not be classified as a variant of the AR15. The funny part is the AR180 is actually prohibited but the AR180b is not a variant of the original AR180 (don't ask). It's like how the SIG series rifles are not variants of their military versions.

Sometimes it works to our advantage, sometimes it doesn't.

Had one. The action feels different from the AR15. Nice guns. I'd buy one if you have the money.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:46 AM

I have one. I can group it in 1.5"-1.75" @ 100. I suspect it could do better if I had a scope with some magnification on it. My eyes are probably the weak link.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:30 PM

I've been shooting one for over a year now. About 1.5 - 2.0" five shot groups at 100 yds is about the best I can squeeze out of mine (and that's with handloads, a good scope, reworking the trigger to 4 lbs - from fourteen, milling off the back sight, attaching a REAL scope base and screwing the scope down TIGHT). It was one of the rifles I used on coyotes last winter (until it broke - more on that later). I took three in a row at 200 yds and was starting to like the rifle, but then, like I said it broke. Specifically, the hinge snapped.

This has been an ongoing issue with these rifles and now there seem to be two kinds of owners. Those whose rifles have snapped at the hinge and those who are waiting for theirs to do it. One cause has been letting the upper "fall" open and stressing the hinge, the factory's official position seems to be that is the cause of ALL hinge failure. However, I bought mine new, and was fully aware of this issue when I bought it. I never stressed the hinge and wouldn't even let anyone else handling it seperate the upper and lower in case they did it.

Mine broke while shooting at a coyote at around minus 20 C. I'm convinced that the hinge is also breaking because all the force generated from the bolt slamming shut is transmitted directly to that polymer hinge; and the cold weather didn't help.

Wolverine Supplies (the Canadian importer of Armalite) was really good about it. They replaced the lower at now cost. I reassembled the rifle and it's sitting in my vault now, with zero rounds through it. And there won't be any until I implement a fix. My plan is to machine a recoil lug that I can screw to the underside of the lower and then bed it into AcraGlas within the lower (just above the pistol grip). That lug will then take the vast majority of the return-to-battery force that was being directed to the hinge. It should fix the hinge issue and might even improve accuracy.

Bottom line: In my opinion if you want a "project gun", like to tinker and have the tools to do it with, go ahead and buy one. I'm not selling miine....yet. It's a problem child but the challenge is to turn it into something special. If you want a semi-auto .223 to take into the field, try one of the new Ruger Mini-14's.

triggerpress