Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2010, 05:00 PM

Exclamation The sale of crown land…… alive again?

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything on this topic recently. I know it kind of died off and we haven’t heard too much about it lately. By the sounds of it though it is alive and has the potential to be moving along. I have caught wind that behind closed doors, there is a group in the High Level and Fort Vermillion areas having discussions with our Honorable Minister, Mel Knight on purchasing large amounts of government owned land to increase their size of their farming operations.
Included in this land there is some old Buck for Wildlife projects that would be lost through the sale of these lands.

I thought that we voiced our concerns as Albertans to make sure that the sale of these lands wouldn’t happen. Looks like we better get back at it!

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 08-11-2010, 07:46 PM

While it doesn`t involve the sale of crown land there is a young man in the Reno area who has been clearing large tracts of bush in a fashion not seen for years. It is my understanding that he is the son of one of Stelmachs chronies and is being backed financially by his family who are somehow related to a minister. When he was approached about his methods he displayed an attitude that was from 50 years ago - clear it all for as much crop as possible.

The clearing was to such an extent and so quickly that a referal to signage on the roads had to be made so one could ensure they were in the same spot as a few weeks earlier as it was now unrecognizable. Gone are the bush patches that held large numbers of deer and moose. It is so bad that the land I was thinking of buying as a hunting retreat/camp spot is now no longer worth it.

So if that attitude is present it wouldn't be to far fetched to see them trying to clear crown land for the same purposes.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Banned

After reading those 2 posts, something seems suspicious. Any more info available/Anyone hear anything else?
Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 PM

They're selling off a couple of small chunks (625 ac. & 600 ac.) up in Fort McMurry for future development. http://www.journalofcommerce.com/article/id40063

There should be a public consultation process before any large sale of public lands, so any one up in the High Level/ Fort Vermillion area will have to keep an eye on the newspapers for notices of open houses and the like.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.S View Post
After reading those 2 posts, something seems suspicious. Any more info available/Anyone hear anything else?
Nothing suspicious.
HOT OFF THE PRESS INFO.
It will be the hot topic in the coming weeks once word gets out.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:

Last edited by Rockymtnx; 08-11-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Nothing suspicious.
HOT OFF THE PRESS INFO.
It will be the hot topic in the coming weeks once word gets out.
I don't mean suspicious like you were Lying......
Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 PM

I live in the area and noticed some gov't land sale info. in last week's local papers. I have to admit that I didn't think much of it and tossed them. Now I can't remember if they were tax sales or crown land. I'll find an old copy and let you know...unless someone else does.

Not to hijack the thread, but up north it's the wild, wild west of land development. The county has paid for huge wetlands drainage projects and in my 13 years up here I've seen countless acres cleared for farming. With the price of land increasing, it's seems to be getting worse.

TH
Old 08-11-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeHugger View Post
The county has paid for huge wetlands drainage projects TH
That in itself is a crime in this day and age IMHO with all the awarnes of the importance of wetlands on the landscape.

Is the Peace country not already in its second year of drought?

Last edited by IR_mike; 08-11-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:21 PM

lots of tree cuttin ,replaced with farm land goin on around wetaskiwin area to,,,,,humans r demanding,,the world is runnig out of foooooooooooooood..this world needs to step back a couple hundred years .
Old 08-11-2010, 11:27 PM

Any grazing lease holder can apply to buy the land but it has to go up for bids with the right to match highest bid. Not sure where a person finds wats for sale though.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:34 PM

It appears the province is selling crown land. Sustainable Resource Development has ads in the local papers for over 19 quarters. A quick search of SRD website didn't turn up any ads, so I've attached a picture of one as an example. It's from The Northern Pioneer, p. 7, August 4.

Most appear to be around Fort Vermilion with a handful closer to La Crete. According to my rather old County map, most of the parcels are undeveloped bush lots and butt up against existing farm land.

If you're able to read the text of the image, you can see the auction will be held in Fort Vermilion on September 3.

Rockymntx, can you tell me about the Buck for Wildlife project?

TH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SRD Ad.jpg (55.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 08-12-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1969 View Post
Any grazing lease holder can apply to buy the land but it has to go up for bids with the right to match highest bid. Not sure where a person finds wats for sale though.
this man is 100 % correct
Old 08-12-2010, 02:17 PM

Some Minister we have!!!!
I though last year we made it loud and clear as outdoorsmen that the sale of these public lands by the Government in WRONG!
Once this natural habitat is sold it will never be the same. There is no reason for these lands to be sold.

I highly recommend that everyone contact the following voicing your concern:

Honourable Minister Mel Knight
Constituency Office
#105, 9804 - 100 Avenue
Grande Prairie, AB
Canada T8V 0T8
Phone: (780) 513-1233 (780) 513-1233
Fax: (780) 513-1247
grandeprairie.smoky@assembly.ab.ca

Honourable Frank Oberle
Constituency Office
P.O. Box 6299
9907 101 Avenue
Peace River, AB
Canada T8S 1S2
Phone: (780) 624-5400 (780) 624-5400
Fax: (780) 624-5464
peace.river@assembly.ab.ca

Premier Ed Stelmach
Vegreville
Box 451
4945 - 51 Avenue
Vegreville, AB
Canada T9C 1R6
Phone: (780) 632-6840 (780) 632-6840
Fax: (780) 632-6888
fortsaskatchewan.vegreville@assembly.ab.ca

Fort Saskatchewan
9925B 104 Street
Fort Saskatchewan, AB
Canada T8L 2E7
Phone: (780) 992-6560 (780) 992-6560
Fax: (780) 992-6562

Your local MLA
You can find the contact info here…..
www.assembly.ab.ca/net/index.aspx?p=mla_home

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 08-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
this man is 100 % correct
Just because a leaseholder wants to buy his leased land does not mean it will
actually go up for sale. If is does, yes it will be open to bid with the first right of refusal going to the leaseholder. I have asked about buying grazing leases and was told that a the particular parcel will not be sold. Not sure about agricultural leases.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:43 PM

What makes no sense to me is why anyone would put money into clearing land for farming when farming is not extremly profitable. I cant see the investment into clearing this land paying off for a farmer. And that is just a purly economic look at things. There is enough private land out there for sale I don't think it is nessesary to start selling off our public lands!
Old 08-12-2010, 03:48 PM

I'm from the area and I know that this land was put up for sale as part of the land management plan which Mackenzie County holds with SRD. It is a shame as some of it is not very well suited to agriculture however the local community pushed for more land and won. I know that SRD put up a strong position but when the local farmers ran to their MLA, SRD had to comprimise. Sometimes the loudest squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:50 PM

Many factors but for the most part it doesn't make sense to buy land and pay taxes on land that you lease already for pennies on the dollar
with pretty good rights associated. The other part is that when
your at auction you stand a chance of not being able to match/afford the highest offer and lose land that you were counting on. Grandfather clauses are pretty hard to break!
Old 08-12-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white whaler View Post
lots of tree cuttin ,replaced with farm land goin on around wetaskiwin area to,,,,,humans r demanding,,the world is runnig out of foooooooooooooood..this world needs to step back a couple hundred years .
I'm afraid you would be some what shocked by the look of things 200 years ago. Many of the areas that have trees now, did not have them then. Prairie fires kept the trees out before we settled and broke up the land stopping the fires before they got very far.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Gone Hunting

It makes me shake my head to see organizations like AF&GA, "Land conservancy" and other groups buying up or getting conservation agreements to protect and maintain habitat lands. While others (Gov't included) are taking existing wildlife habitat and clearing it for Agriculture.

They had better not be "disposing" of Buck For Wildlife lands.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 08-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Banned

Ok.. Look at this from a $$$ point of view.

Why are these parcels NOT being advertised in a much more effective manner?

How can you sell to the highest bidder when HE/SHE doesn't even know about the sale?

This sale needed to be advertised. I don't think it's fair that all Albertans didn't have a crack at this purchase.

Jamie
Old 08-12-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
They had better not be "disposing" of Buck For Wildlife lands.
I hope not too, but heard there might be some lands in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Ok.. Look at this from a $$$ point of view.
Why are these parcels NOT being advertised in a much more effective manner?
How can you sell to the highest bidder when HE/SHE doesn't even know about the sale?
This sale needed to be advertised. I don't think it's fair that all Albertans didn't have a crack at this purchase.
Jamie
Personally I think this is just a way for the Government to try and sneak it past us without anyone knowing. The less advertizing and knowledge about the sale of these lands, means less of a commotion from people against it.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for: