Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-28-2007, 12:47 PM

Default heavy barrel or fluted

i'm planning on picking up a marlin 917, i'm stuck on wether or not it is worth the $60 extra for the fluted barrel. anyone have an opinion i've never owned a fluted barrel rifle
Old 09-28-2007, 01:15 PM
stubblejumper

A fluted barrel simply allows one to use a larger contour,and therefore more rigid barrel without having to add all of the weight normally associated with a heavier contour barrel.I have several hunting rifles with fluted barrels,because I like heavier contour barrels,yet I want to keep the weight of the rifle a little lighter.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:35 PM

A fluted barrel also gives more surface area. That means the barrel will cool down faster or not get as hot as quickly.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:22 AM

I've used both, and have looked at experiments by many experts.
There is NO merit as far as cooling or stiffness between fluting and unfluted barrels in any of the results.
Strictly for looks- I DO like the looks however, compared to an unfluted barrel!
Cat

Old 09-29-2007, 09:20 AM

There's definetly the "cool factor" to fluted barrels
Old 09-29-2007, 09:58 AM
stubblejumper

http://www.varmintal.com/aflut.htm

From the link above.
Quote:
CONCLUSION ON BARREL FLUTING....

When comparing two barrels of equal weight, length, and material but one is solid and other is fluted, the fluted barrel will have:
o

A larger diameter
o

Greater stiffness (depending on how the extra diameter/weight is distributed)
o

Vibrate at a higher frequency (depending on how the extra diameter/ weight is distributed)
o

Less muzzle sag (depending on how the extra diameter/ weight is distributed)

Fluting a solid barrel will:
o

Reduce its weight
o

Reduce its stiffness
o

Increase its natural frequency of vibration
o

Decrease its muzzle sag.

Reducing the weight of a barrel by fluting makes a stiffer barrel than reducing the weight by decreasing its diameter.

A shorter barrel of the same section, solid or fluted, will sag less and vibrate at a higher frequency.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:42 AM

The reports that I have read were from experiments in
Precision shooting Magazine, etc. and I was involved in some field tests about 35 years agon involving fluted barrels and barrel lengths.
These teests were coducted by a trained ballistics and firearms expert who worked for an ammunition company.
There is a balance to be had, and too much of one negates the other.

The frequency of vibration has little to do with the accuracy as long as the frequency is consistant. the frequency wwill be shorter and faster on a shorter barrel than on a longer one.
A fluted barrel can be longer or shorter, or whatever, the end result makes the differance, and no acccuracy increase was noted in any of the tests I read , saw or paricipated in.
that would be my bottom line.
A light weight fluted barrel will likely be larger in diameter than an unfluted one, but the results will be the same.
The barrel on the bottom rifle is fluted, and larger in diameter than the original, but the weight and length is the same.
No gain anywhere, in weight savings or accuracy.
That is the bottom line, we can argue theory all day, but if the results are the same, it makes no difference.
Cat
Old 09-29-2007, 01:50 PM

Schilen (think I thats the spelling) supposed to be one of the best barrel makers out their won't do the fluted barrels for reasons they state in their web site check that out. I am in the same boat Love the look want it for a 300 rum but also want the best barrel you can have look forward to more info from anyone.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:05 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
I am in the same boat Love the look want it for a 300 rum but also want the best barrel you can have look forward to more info from anyone.
I have two 300RUM rifles both with fluted barrels.Below is an example of the accuracy achieved.These groups were fired with a hunting rifle and full power hunting loads with a 3x10 scope.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...amaggroups.jpg

Obviously fluting the barrel had no negative effect on accuracy.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
I have two 300RUM rifles both with fluted barrels.Below is an example of the accuracy achieved.These groups were fired with a hunting rifle and full power hunting loads with a 3x10 scope.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...amaggroups.jpg

Obviously fluting the barrel had no negative effect on accuracy.
Looks like Reloader 25 not sure of the bullets or grain weights but love the .280 care to share
Old 09-29-2007, 02:21 PM

Fluting versus no fluting is about the same for barrelmakers as button rifling versus cut rifling, advocates on both sides of the fence, pros and cons, and at the end of the day it matters more about how skilled the barrel maker is, zilch the system that was used to make said barrel .
I've seen World class groups shot with both types, with different crowns, leades, rifling designs, the works.
It dosen't matter neear as much as the nut behind the bolt ( lathe, mill, etc)!
Cat
Old 09-29-2007, 03:26 PM

Trust me the nut behind the falling block can shoot but a bad barrel is still a bad barrel and a good one is a good one but it never hurts to search for the best well the best moderately priced anyway
Old 09-29-2007, 03:47 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Looks like Reloader 25 not sure of the bullets or grain weights but love the .280 care to share
I use only 180gr bullets.The powder is r-25 and the primer fed 215.The 180gr ballistic tips average 1/2" at 3340fps with the 180gr tsx averaging 5/8" at 3380fps.One rifle has a pac-nor barrel and the other a Gaillard,both medium varmint contour and both 26" long.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:58 PM

Awsome thanks I have always used the 180 ballistics tip in my 300 win mag ruger #1 Just switched to the Accubond this year now I just have to find the right 300 rum.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:01 PM

Default B78

Hey cat what is that B78 chambered in or is it a B78
Old 10-03-2007, 02:04 AM

I like my fluted barrel. Its bling bling factor cannot be ignored

Just think, for $60.00 more you can join the tres cool club
Old 10-03-2007, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Hey cat what is that B78 chambered in or is it a B78
Yup, it's a B78 with a Smith barrel in 6.5X284.
Cat