Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-18-2010, 10:05 PM

Default Don't you just hate when you see lost tackle you cant quite get?

Hey guys, I dont know about you but whenever i see tackle in a lake (or around it for that matter!) i do my very best to collect it. Sometimes there sitting nicely in the shallows and you can just wade into grab it. Or if your lucky its somewhere easy for you to snag with a hook but sometimes you can SEE IT but can't figure out how to get it. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas for how to rig up some sort of tackle snagging rig. So far my ideas have been rare earth magnets and a BIG treble hook with lots of weight. Both have their issues though.. The magnets problem being that not all lures are magnetic (actully i dont think there's a whole lot that are). And the main problem with dragging a big treble hook around is losing that rig trying to get a lure that may or may not be of equal or lesser value.

IDEAS ANYONE? Also i know there's going to be people whining and moaning that i should just buy tackle and not waste time fishing for it. My advice for them, Waste your own money! im going to save some cash and clean up the lakes. WIN-WIN!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:17 PM

When I was younger, as summer approached I would not only bring my fishing gear, but I would also bring a snorkle, mask, and diving fins. Once the fish stopped biting, I was in the lake doing a different type of fishing. Lost lure fishing. I saved a ton of money in those days. Lots of 5 of Diamonds snagged up on the rocks.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:49 PM

Last year there was a tangled mess of about 20 or so rapalas up at dixon dam. If you figure something out that'd be the place to try it out , you wouldn't have to buy another lure for years!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
Hey guys, I dont know about you but whenever i see tackle in a lake (or around it for that matter!) i do my very best to collect it. Sometimes there sitting nicely in the shallows and you can just wade into grab it. Or if your lucky its somewhere easy for you to snag with a hook but sometimes you can SEE IT but can't figure out how to get it. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas for how to rig up some sort of tackle snagging rig. So far my ideas have been rare earth magnets and a BIG treble hook with lots of weight. Both have their issues though.. The magnets problem being that not all lures are magnetic (actully i dont think there's a whole lot that are). And the main problem with dragging a big treble hook around is losing that rig trying to get a lure that may or may not be of equal or lesser value.

IDEAS ANYONE? Also i know there's going to be people whining and moaning that i should just buy tackle and not waste time fishing for it. My advice for them, Waste your own money! im going to save some cash and clean up the lakes. WIN-WIN!
harhar funny stuff and good question. I went to Reesor lake before the season opened last year. Gathered about 80 weights and a bunch of jigs. Never had to buy weights for two years. Straight off the dock.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:13 AM

Default wanna fishing rod??

Fishingfrenzy,

If you are ever at Lac Ste Anne, I lost a fishing rod over by West Cove, just west of the Island in 16 feet of water. Was unhooking my walleye and the rod gave a little flip and over she went.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:30 AM

I often find bait traps and usually curiousity( sp) gets the best of me, I pull em up to have a look and outta the many many traps I have found, not one piece of bait. And nothing to attract the minnows either? 30 percent of my tackle has been found though. I save a ton of cash cleaning up
Old 08-19-2010, 09:37 AM

Not sure if this would work or not, but what about using a "golf ball retriever" (portable yet extendable). I'm sure there are a variety of ways you can come up with that might work (including attaching rare earth magnets as you mentioned, or just dip and scoop [depending on how accurate you are and what the bottom is like])...

Worth a try!!

P
Old 08-19-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutHunter View Post
Last year there was a tangled mess of about 20 or so rapalas up at dixon dam. If you figure something out that'd be the place to try it out , you wouldn't have to buy another lure for years!
AND YOU DIDN'T TAKE THEM?!?!?!??! haha, thanks for the advice
Old 08-19-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Eyes View Post
Fishingfrenzy,

If you are ever at Lac Ste Anne, I lost a fishing rod over by West Cove, just west of the Island in 16 feet of water. Was unhooking my walleye and the rod gave a little flip and over she went.
Any chance this was something highend like a St Croix or a Fenwick ?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Not sure if this would work or not, but what about using a "golf ball retriever" (portable yet extendable). I'm sure there are a variety of ways you can come up with that might work (including attaching rare earth magnets as you mentioned, or just dip and scoop [depending on how accurate you are and what the bottom is like])...

Worth a try!!

P
That my freind is pure genius! im gonna have to try and find a used one at a garage sale!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Any chance this was something highend like a St Croix or a Fenwick ?
It was a daiwa graphite med/light 7' with a Fleuger spin cast reel.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:50 AM

I'm not just another pretty face, ya know!! LoL! (not that you would know that on an anonymous public forum ) Sometimes the simpliest solutions are not always the most obvious (or at least obvious to some!) !

Let us know how it works.

P

P.S. Not sure I'd waste my time searching one out at a garage sale as they are pretty inexpensive to begin with!!

Quote:
That my freind is pure genius! im gonna have to try and find a used one at a garage sale!