Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-01-2010, 05:41 PM

Default bug id

The mooneyes have been going nuts on these things the last week or so, can any of you fly fishers tell me what it is and what fly replicates them? Thanks.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-01-2010, 05:47 PM

mayfly!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:50 PM

Looks like that thing form Avatar..
Old 09-01-2010, 06:16 PM

they look like little dragons, and when they crawl out of the old skin they fly around dragging it behind them. actually kind of beautiful to see.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-01-2010, 06:19 PM

I would try a pale morning or pale evening dun
Old 09-01-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
I would try a pale morning or pale evening dun
X2
Old 09-01-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutHunter View Post
X2
my vote also
Old 09-01-2010, 08:27 PM

Parachute PMD in cream!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:47 PM

They are indeed a type of mayfly, Ephoron leukon to be exact. They are very cool mayflies usually hatching in the early evening, they immediately fly to shore landing on trees, bushes,people, etc. where they wriggle out of their skins changing from duns to spinners. The spinners then take to the skies in short order in mating flight. Shortly after that into dark they lay their eggs & fall to the water spent. Talk about accomplishing a lot in a short amount of time!
http://www.wiflyfisher.com/ephoron-l...yfly-hatch.asp

The interesting thing about these mayflies is that all the information I can find on these guys lists their distribution in Eastern North America, not the west so I'm not sure how they ended up here? I have spent many memorable evenings pounding goldeyes on white flies on the lower Red Deer.

As far as flies to use, like other guys have said a size #14-#16 PMD pattern works good. Try the parachute patterns if you can get them. Also a little harder to find commercially is #14 tan coloured emerger pattern as the fish (even goldeyes & mooneyes!) can get picky & show a preference for the emergers especially early in the hatch. I am also planning on experimenting with drifting nymphs under an indicator early in the hatch & pre-hatch to dredge up some more fishies!

Last edited by pikester; 09-01-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the info... going to Drumheller on Tuesday ....hope the hatch and action are still hot
Old 09-01-2010, 10:13 PM

Thank you for the info, have to see if I can find some of those flies mail order I guess, might have to save them til next season if the hatch doesnt last that long. They are a real sight, the whole width of the Bow was just covered with them and there were fish taking them in every direction. Now with the wind tonight they all might be in the east again where they belong

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 09-01-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Thank you for the info, have to see if I can find some of those flies mail order I guess, might have to save them til next season if the hatch doesnt last that long. They are a real sight, the whole width of the Bow was just covered with them and there were fish taking them in every direction. Now with the wind tonight they all might be in the east again where they belong
Where are you located Wayne? You should be able to find adequate patterns in Calgary at TFH or Wholesale I would think.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:32 PM

Im 2 1/2 hours from Calgary south of Brooks, not much in the way of sporting goods around here Might just order some from the ad at the top of the page, I see them have them. I would be using them with a bobber since Im a hardware chucker, I have caught some with other fly patterns I have that way, but the way they were sucking those hatches down Id be worn out by the time the hatch finished even with the little Mooneyes. they are an awesome little fish.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 09-01-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Im 2 1/2 hours from Calgary south of Brooks, not much in the way of sporting goods around here Might just order some from the ad at the top of the page, I see them have them. I would be using them with a bobber since Im a hardware chucker, I have caught some with other fly patterns I have that way, but the way they were sucking those hatches down Id be worn out by the time the hatch finished even with the little Mooneyes. they are an awesome little fish.
Yiou want something let me know. I can grab it for ya.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 09-01-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Ah I see why the fishing stores are not very convenient for you. I can't say for sure but I seem to recall those flies might hatch for a couple weeks. It will be heavier some nights than others of course depending mostly on the weather. Also, the general rule of thumb is that the hatch slowly moves upstream as time progresses so if the spot you are fishing seems to fade out in terms of the flies hatching you might bump into them again if you drive 5 or 10 miles upriver. Just a thought.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:44 PM

PMD
Old 09-01-2010, 10:49 PM

Just as a footnote, I did a little more research & there is a sub-species of Ephoron called E. album which does in fact live in Western North America so I guess they belong here after all! Not that it changes the patterns you use but some of the amature entomologists aka bug geeks (like me!) might like an accurate reference
Old 09-01-2010, 10:56 PM

Looks like a coffin fly. Usually a heavy hatch in Lethbridge on the Oldman R. in late summer.

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying...060401fotw.php
Old 09-02-2010, 07:49 AM

[QUOTE=WayneChristie;670094]Im 2 1/2 hours from Calgary south of Brooks, not much in the way of sporting goods around here Might just order some from the ad at the top of the page, I see them have them. QUOTE]

That would be my recommendation. You could probably get them in a week. Also, he supplies some UFA stores as well. Might be his "packs" only. Not sure if UFA carries individual flies.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:19 PM

I've bought flies from here.
www.flyshack.com
Shipping is relatively quick, (but i doubt fast enough for the hatch) and flies are 84 cent a piece. Any fly, any size!