Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Banned

Default Prov to convert native prairie to potatoes?

I have just received a note that:

The province of Alberta is negotiating, and apparently cabinet is discussing, the approval of a sale of 100 quarters of native prairie land near Bow Island.

Details are as follows

- the sale is to SLM Spud Farms; 1317748 Ltd
- the lands are in Twp's 12, 13; Rge 11, W4
- the application to purchase is PLS100018
- part, maybe all of the land in this disposition may be part of the Bow Island Grazing Association
- Stelmach had a meeting on July 29 with Forty Mile Council, where this was discussed

I believe my source to be very credible. This potential sale must be stopped.

We only have 5% of our native prairie land left, and to turn any of the publicly held land to any crops is just plain wrong. Apparently Mel Knight, Minister of SRD has suggested that funds from the sale would be turned over to the Nature Conservancy of Canada so they can purchase prairie land, but apparently the NCC knows nothing about this.

What is our province doing? This is irreversible.. once the prairie grasslands are gone, their gone. They won't come back, and it cannot be remediated or "reclaimed".

There is no way that we as hunters, anglers and conservationists can support this.

Do your part and contact your MLA today, and tell them you can't support this native habitat being converted to potatoes.

Andy von Busse
Past President, AFGA
Founding Director, ACA
Charter Member, ESCC
Old 09-15-2010, 01:20 PM

The Alberta Wilderness Association http://albertawilderness.ca has put out two alerts on this since Friday.
Andy's (and MY) outfit have apparently only found out about it today. There's also a big difference. The AWA has a digital database and can rev up it's membership with the click of a mouse. AFGA can't so it will be weeks before they get their creaky PR machine working. If at all.
Still, the first region where Stelmach's saintly Land Use Framework is supposedly applied (except it's high-centred) is in the south.
Now it looks like someone is trying do a greasy deal before the zoning lines are drawn on the map. The minister, who is the same minister mandated by the preem with driving the LUF, appears to be in on the game.
It just gets worse and worse down at the Leg. don't it?
I wonder what Danielle thinks about potatoes?
Old 09-15-2010, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Please provide any links to the information.

Quote:
Apparently Mel Knight, Minister of SRD has suggested that funds from the sale would be turned over to the Nature Conservancy of Canada so they can purchase prairie land,
Sounds like typical political rhetoric. Sell the prairie to make money to buy buy the prairie.......
Old 09-15-2010, 01:31 PM

Yes thanks for the heads up. I'm forwarding the info to all on my list also thanks.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
The Alberta Wilderness Association http://albertawilderness.ca has put out two alerts on this since Friday.
Andy's (and MY) outfit have apparently only found out about it today. There's also a big difference. The AWA has a digital database and can rev up it's membership with the click of a mouse. AFGA can't so it will be weeks before they get their creaky PR machine working. If at all.
Still, the first region where Stelmach's saintly Land Use Framework is supposedly applied (except it's high-centred) is in the south.
Now it looks like someone is trying do a greasy deal before the zoning lines are drawn on the map. The minister, who is the same minister mandated by the preem with driving the LUF, appears to be in on the game.
It just gets worse and worse down at the Leg. don't it?
Present minister past minister or both?

This is wrong on a lot of levels!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:54 PM

When was this disposition applied for?

I should be able to find the disposition boundary, but I can't.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:15 PM

Here's the man's e-mail adress. Have at er. I sent him my two bits worth.

http://www.melknightmla.com/cgi-bin/dev1.cgi

Grizz
Old 09-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Banned

Looks like we have all been asleep at the wheel. This has been in the working since 2007.

http://www.aenweb.ca/node/1866

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...WWe3IA&cad=rja

Both of these are an interesting read. Too bad it came from AWA and not AFGA.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:02 PM

Great to see more public/government lands being sold off!
Yeah right!

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 09-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburhunter View Post
Looks like we have all been asleep at the wheel. This has been in the working since 2007.

Both of these are an interesting read. Too bad it came from AWA and not AFGA.
It makes one wonder how much behind the scenes has been going on at the political level.

It reminds me of the negotiations the AFGA had to buy the Pheasant Hatchery in Brooks (we even had mortgage financing arranged), and it was kiboshed through the local MLA, Lyle Oberg at the time. I remember Oberg coming to a meeting a the legislature once with his "buddy" Chuck Fuller (of Earl's restaurant fame), who ended up owning the facility, for less money then we were prepared to put into it. In fact, we had even met with Ralph Klein at the time, and he seemed supportive of our bid.

Guess who is a board member of the Canadian Pheasant Company now? Fuller is out... but the former MLA is not.

Funny how politics works.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:19 AM

There are 3 or 4 quarters of land listed for sale just south of the Whitemud freeway in Strathcona County that I always thought were part of an agricultural disposition adjoining the "Sherwood Park Natural Area", whatever that is. I cannot accesss the SRD website tonight, could someone else help me out here to define it?
NE2-52-23-4, NW2-52-23-4, SE11-52-23-4, SW11-52-23-4

http://www.goodchildproperties.com/f...www.domain.com
Old 09-16-2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
Danielle... Smith?
Old 09-16-2010, 07:46 AM

Aggressive personality this Ypma, likes to make his own rules. That 2003 potato farm development on the north side of the river he had the complete irrigation system in place before he even bothered to apply for a water diversion licence
Old 09-16-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Aggressive personality this Ypma, likes to make his own rules. That 2003 potato farm development on the north side of the river he had the complete irrigation system in place before he even bothered to apply for a water diversion licence
Doesn't surprise me that's who's doing it. I trust these guys as far as I can toss them.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 09-16-2010, 08:58 AM

Anyone know who's the MLA for that area? Is it Broyce Jacobs or is it the next one over to the east? I need to make a phone call.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 09-16-2010, 09:10 AM

Not sure where the boundaries are over there but it is either Mitzel, McFarland, Renner or Jacobs.

Just looked at the map it could definitely be Jacobs
Old 09-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Banned

Looks like we will hear more about it on Micheal Short's radio program this Saturday. It will be interesting to see what Mel Knight says this time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Episode Sept 19.

Feature stories on:

We dive into a story that is developing in South East Alberta involving the potential sale of 100 quarters of public land, known to be home to a number of endangered species. All so that we can have more potato chips! The sale of this public land is to a potato producer in the area. To further complicate the issue the proceeds of this sale have been earmarked for the Nature Conservancy of Canada towards the purchase of land that in the words of Mel Knight, Minister of ASRD would be "10 times more environmentally valuable". Problem is the Nature Conservancy claims to know nothing about this deal.

I will have a chat with Cliff Wallace Vice president of the Alberta Wilderness Association and the Minister of Alberta sustainable Resource Development Mel Knight.

See you on the radio!

Thanks very much. Have a great weekend.

Michael Short
Let's Go Outdoors
www.letsgooutdoorsradio.com
Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Looks like we will hear more about it on Micheal Short's radio program this Saturday. It will be interesting to see what Mel Knight says this time.

Episode Sept 19.

Feature stories on:

We dive into a story that is developing in South East Alberta involving the potential sale of 100 quarters of public land, known to be home to a number of endangered species. All so that we can have more potato chips! The sale of this public land is to a potato producer in the area. To further complicate the issue the proceeds of this sale have been earmarked for the Nature Conservancy of Canada towards the purchase of land that in the words of Mel Knight, Minister of ASRD would be "10 times more environmentally valuable". Problem is the Nature Conservancy claims to know nothing about this deal.

I will have a chat with Cliff Wallace Vice president of the Alberta Wilderness Association and the Minister of Alberta sustainable Resource Development Mel Knight.

See you on the radio!

Michael Short
Let's Go Outdoors
I've got an uncle that lives south of Brudett and he mentioned this sale to me a few months ago. I had no idea it was this much land. He also said that the gov't is looking to sell off land that has endangered species living in it because the environmental lobby groups are making their lives miserable with all the regulations they have to follow. So the simple thing to do is sell it and then they don't have to deal with the environmentalists. Not saying this is 100% accurate, but it does fit the bill with how Stelmach and his cronies have operated since taking power.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 09-16-2010, 10:09 AM

Just made a couple phone calls. We'll see if I get anywhere or if they even get back to me.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 09-16-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Episode Sept 19.

Feature stories on:

See you on the radio!

Michael Short
Let's Go Outdoors
Its interesting how we can protect other land with the sale of this land. It would seem that this "more" valuable land would probably come out of the lease program as well which doesn't quite make sense to me. We can protect protected land by selling protected land. Plus who determines what is more environmentally valuable. Carring capacity might be higher, species diversity might be greater but really how is one more valuable than another. What I do know that it's value will be non-existant as potatoe fields so with my pencil sharpened I calculate a net overall loss along with a gross overall loss. Sounds like a great deal.

The other side of this is what is the economic benefit to this developer. There is no talk of what he is prepared to pay to the province for all of this but lets say grassland in the area is worth $500-$1000 an acre (I'm sure that this would be something less than the going rate) and he spends a few more hundred to get the water delivery (I thought water allocations where limited) so somewhere around $1000 and acre. Now I'm pretty sure irrigated land around Bow Island and Hays is any where from $2800-$4500 and acre.

Seems like he might not be in this for the potatoes but rather the cabbage.

Interesting how he can stick handle through all the red tape as well with what could only be seen from the outside as an endorsement from SRD, Agriculture and Environment.

Who does speak for the wild places at the Legislature?
Old 09-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
Its
Interesting how he can stick handle through all the red tape as well with what could only be seen from the outside as an endorsement from SRD, Agriculture and Environment.

Who does speak for the wild places at the Legislature?
It is my understanding that SRD originally opposed this transaction. It looks like the Minister overruled it.

Now, who does speak for wild places at the Leg? Good question, as Mel Knight appears to speak for potatoes. Someone should tell him he is NOT the Minister of Agriculture.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:17 AM

Andy, thanks for all of you info on this matter so far. Please keep us up to date on anything further that you hear. I know that the executive of some of our other Alberta outdoor organizations sure don’t seem to be spreading the word to their members. I often wonder if they are even representing us at all. Once this land is sold, it will NEVER be public land again. Gone forever.

I am not from the area that this particular land is in, but from my understanding this is prime habitat for pronghorn, sharp-tails, and prairie rattle snakes. Maybe someone can elaborate a bit more on it for us.

Can anyone tell me what Mel Knight has done for any of us outdoor enthusiasts? Even with Ted Morton’s RAMP and Open Spaces projects he sure did a hell of a lot more than this character. Mel is all about the money and not about habitat and conservation.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 09-16-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Andy, thanks for all of you info on this matter so far. Please keep us up to date on anything further that you hear. I know that the executive of some of our other Alberta outdoor organizations sure don’t seem to be spreading the word to their members. I often wonder if they are even representing us at all. Once this land is sold, it will NEVER be public land again. Gone forever.

I am not from the area that this particular land is in, but from my understanding this is prime habitat for pronghorn, sharp-tails, and prairie rattle snakes. Maybe someone can elaborate a bit more on it for us.

Can anyone tell me what Mel Knight has done for any of us outdoor enthusiasts? Even with Ted Morton’s RAMP and Open Spaces projects he sure did a hell of a lot more than this character. Mel is all about the money and not about habitat and conservation.
I don't think that we should overlook the fact that Mortin was ass deep in this process as well. It would appear that a lot of this has been going on since '07 and even earlier. So without sticking up for anything Knight is or isn't Mortin isn't without blame in all of this either. He could easily have taken the lead on this and protected those lands but I would agree with your statement that they are both all about the money. It is ironic that the ministry that we rely on to manage our wildlife and wild places is actually about developing and exploiting our natural resources.

Another interesting read (yes AWA but seems to be valid)

albertawilderness.ca/wla/2007/2007-12-vol.15-no.6...lands.../download
Old 09-16-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
It is my understanding that SRD originally opposed this transaction. It looks like the Minister overruled it.
Where is this from. I'm not a big fan of Mortin but if this is fact I'll give credit where it is due.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned

Default AFGA issues press release on potato farm

The AFGA has just issued this press release adding its voice of opposition to the conversion of native prairie land to a potato farm.

Again, readers are encouraged to contact their MLA's to attempt to stop this.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:11 PM

[QUOTE=Rockymtnx;682352]

I drive thru this area, maybe not the exact location they are selling, but close enough, often. The highway has a sign posted for rattlesnakes, for 60 KM actually, asking people to protect them. Not once have I driven thru without seeing at least a few pronghorns. But, the public needs more potato chips, we are much too healthy right now!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-16-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
Not sure where the boundaries are over there but it is either Mitzel, McFarland, Renner or Jacobs.

Just looked at the map it could definitely be Jacobs
I doubt if Jacobs will help you. He barely won the last election, and the way the conservatives have treated the Cardston riding even if he runs again he knows he'll get beat.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:46 PM

Just got off the phone with SRD. She said they have not made a decision on this as of yet. I don't think it would be a bad idea for everyone to call in and give their 2 cents on this deal though.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 09-17-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Just got off the phone with SRD. She said they have not made a decision on this as of yet. I don't think it would be a bad idea for everyone to call in and give their 2 cents on this deal though.
I will call them.
Who or where did you call to?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 09-17-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
I will call them.
Who or where did you call to?
I called Broyce Jacobs office and Rob Renner's office. Renner's office then had someone from SRD call me, and I told her what I thought of the deal. Haven't got anywhere with Jacobs but I'll call again on Monday.

Hope this helps.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA