Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-11-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Remington's Sendero M700

Has anyone had experience with the Remington Sendero's? Specifically, recoil (300 WM level), handling, accuracy, pros and cons? Interested in any comments.

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:38 PM

I have the Sendero in 300 RUM. I find that it only kicks hard when you are expecting it to but when the big buck shows up the kick does not enter your mind at all if you know what I mean. I find it as accurate as the rest of my other guns. It is sighted in for 200 yards and if I can continually place shots within 3-4 inches I am happy which it does.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:03 PM

I have the Sendero in 338 ultra mag. Very accurate and hard hitting. Ihave only shot 250 grain Swift A frames.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:32 PM

i 'had' a sendero in 300 weatherby in stainless steel, 3.5-10/ 50 loopy on it
180 grain combined technogywith a dose of 7828. by far it is the best 'heavy' gun ive ever owned.
no complaint from me!!!
i just hurt to much to shoot lots.
it was also a little to heavy for my kinda carry hunting, to much for coyotes.
ensure that you put ample amounts of heavy grease on the locking lugs of the bolt. i didnt, so the bolt locked up on me. not the guns fault . but oh well

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 10-11-2007, 07:31 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
ensure that you put ample amounts of heavy grease on the locking lugs of the bolt. i didnt, so the bolt locked up on me.
Having owned around a dozen remington 700 rifles,I never use heavy grease on the lugs,and I have never had a bolt lock up.In fact the only time that I have seen a bolt lock up on a 700 was when the owner used a handload that was accidentally loaded far too hot.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:57 PM

Default reloading

One thing I might add is that I started reloading partions last year for the 300RUM and I found that the cartridges that were unfired in the box mag had flattened tips on the bullets. I assume this is from the recoil of the initial shot banging everything around. Some say the a little flattening won't hurt but I don't need that facturing into my shot. I have reloaded accubonds this year and have yet to take it to the range but I think the polymer tip will hold out better than the lead.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:16 PM

thanks, sirmike. I have heard a few times the recoil from these rifles can be a bit harsh, inspite of the heavier weight (8.5 lbs). Could be the magnum servings available in the Sendero, especially a 300RUM. I was interested in a 300 win mag, and prefer a milder recoil-heavy rifle combo vs. a light rifle-heavy recoil.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:20 AM

The year the Sendaro was announced I tried to get some info on it. None of the gun shops in town could tell me anything about it, excecpt it would probablly make its appearance that fall ,(this was March, I think). Well being somewhat of an impatient type, I decided to call Remington. I asked for and got put through to the Vice President of Marketing.

I proceeded to tell him how much I liked my Remingtons and asked him when the Sendaro would be available. After a great conversation with him for about half an hour, he told me he would get back to me. I told him that it would probably be more appropriate for him tho talk to Rod at Westgate as that was who I would order it from.

That was Monday. Thursday Rod called me and asked me what I had said to the V.P. of Remington because he had called to tell Rod the exact date that my Sendaro would be made and shipped to Westgate. Wooohoo life was good and got better. My rifle arrived in August of that year and yes it is 300 Win Mag. Reington factory 180 core lockts shot into one hole at a hundred and with handloads shoots into one hole at three hundred if I do my part.

I have taken a load of whitetails, three Mule deer, and a cpl of bears with it. Recoil is not bad. I can shoot 60 rds over an afternoon at the range without any problems. I use a Harris bi-pod and a Bonnie packer sling and have carried it for several miles at times. Not the lightest thing to pack but for long shots where I hunt in Saskatchewan it's well worth it. That's actually why I wanted it in the first place. Albertan's have to hunt the last week of the season in Saskatchewan and in the bald southern part of the province, shots can sometimes be a tad long. Two years ago the shot that I said I would take on a Big Buck if I had to and had time to set up for it came along. I won't tell you how far, but long long ways and the Sendaro brought me home a great buck.

In short (ooops too late) Do it. Remingtons are great rifles and yes I have Wins, Sako's, etc as well. The 300 Win is my personal choice but up to you. The RUMS tend to buck a bit though. Have at er.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:58 AM

I have an original Sendero SF in 300 RUM. I purchased mine after hearing they were discontinued. They now have the SFII, but the original with the HS varmint stock is the best, IMO. The new SF II stock has a bulky palm swell and wide, flat forend, which while great off the bench, becomes awkward in the field.

I LOVE my Sendero. It is very comfortable and mitigates recoil well. I must admit mine has a removeable muzzle brake, but this is primarily for shooting sessions of the bench, which I do a lot of. I do not think recoil will be an issue with the 300 WM, because it is a heavy rifle (8 1/2 pounds bare) - mine, with scope, sling, full mag and bipod probably weighs 11 lbs, so packing it can become tiresome after a few days. But it is very impressive to shoot - mine is extremely accurate, and 1/2 MOA with my handloads is easy, all the way out to wayyyy out there. I think this rifle is the main reason why I am so impressed with the 300 RUM. Highly recommeded !

Hers a pic of mine at the range, taking a break between shooting 700 m groups !

Last edited by depopulator; 10-12-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmike68 View Post
One thing I might add is that I started reloading partions last year for the 300RUM and I found that the cartridges that were unfired in the box mag had flattened tips on the bullets. I assume this is from the recoil of the initial shot banging everything around. Some say the a little flattening won't hurt but I don't need that facturing into my shot. I have reloaded accubonds this year and have yet to take it to the range but I think the polymer tip will hold out better than the lead.
Nope the tips get flattened and/or broken.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:13 AM

Default great input

I want to thank you gents for your input. I appreciate the to-the-point comments. In addition to range use, I can say that this rifle will be packed hunting and not just into an alfalfa field or cutblock. Both I and my saddle horse will bear the weight (more the horse), yet that is not one of my major concerns. You've covered the ones I had.

If there are any more comments/criticisms, I'd be happy to hear them. (Is dreaming about fluted barrels, sleek receivers and fitted stocks a serious condition?)
Old 10-12-2007, 11:51 AM
stubblejumper

A friend has the sendero in 300win mag,and recoil is quite mild due to the weight.Even in 300RUM,I don't find the recoil that harsh.As to bullet points,I use the barnes tsx,and the mrx and there are no issues with bullet deformation or breakage.And both penetrate and retain weight better than a partition.