Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-05-2010, 08:24 PM

Default "Truck Hunting" ....

I Just wanted to start a bit of a fire with this post...

We all hunt for different reasons. Some for trophy. Others for meat. Its a little bit of both for me. For me owever, the way the beast is harvested makes all the difference.

I have never hunted from a truck. I never will. Hunting is more about the experience, the walk, the outdoors and has very little to do with pulling the trigger. In fact, I often feel a sense of loss when I take an animal. I used to think that hunting from a truck was a lazy and selfish way to harvest game. I often suggested that truck hunting was a form of poaching and should be penalized the same way.

However, I recently met a man who has given me a new perspective....

He raises three children on his own. He is widowed. He is disabled. He is confined to a wheelchair and lives on fixed governmental support. His three daughters are 12, 14, and 17. THEY COST A LOT OF MONEY. He hunts for the meat to feed his kids so they can have those little "extras" we all want for our kids.

He has helped me see that not all truck hunting is detrimental to our sport. His truck is his legs. ... He has changed my opinion, even if its for a small minority of "truck hunters".

Your Thoughts??
Old 11-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Banned

my first thought was to close this before it gets stupid. by the time i got to the bottom i had changed my mind. i know 2 old guys who hunt in the area i do in saskatchewan who are kinda that way. this fall they will be 93 and 91. my buddy and i have dragged out 2 good bucks for those guys in places they didnt used to shoot them. when we first heard that, we told them next time they see a buck down there they shoot first and then call us. at their age, i know they arent going to be there one year.....i hope this isnt the year. i also know that one day my buddy and i will be those 2 old guys. i cant wait to get this thing started. only 8 more days. i figure i have about 30 more years of trudging up and down them hills before i convert.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Banned

Default Agreed

Yep, I used to look at heater hunters with disdain myself but situations like the one described above are the exception to the rule. In addition, I've got 15month old twin boys, too young to take hunting yet, but next year if the wife lets me, I'm going to take them. It would be pretty hard to walk way back in to where I usually hang my stands or sit next to a bale in a field at 10-15 below with a coupla two year olds. If the weather permits I'll stick 'em in a blind with me, but more than likely I'll have to resort to cruising a day or two with them sitting in their booster seats. That being said, it wont become a habit and I fully intend to turn them into hunters not drive by shooters!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:09 PM

I used to have rather harsh feelings about truck hunters as well, until I took up an offer to hunt with a guy I work with who has a bad back. He can walk a ways, but not that far until he has to sit and rest a while, and if he carries on this way for an afternoon, he spends the next few days laying on the couch eating pain killers. We do stop and walk, and glass and sit a while on coulee tops, but mostly slowly drive along edges looking for deer. I have discovered that this is a nice relaxing (at least until we see something legal) and very enjoyable way of hunting with my older friend and it gets him out hunting some each year as well (something that he has told me more than once that he was about ready to quit doing). And as mentioned above its pretty hard to carry a 2 or 3 year old and a deer 2 miles out of the back country. I still love my back country hunting but by driving and short little walks I can spend the after noon with my 2 and a half year old, who so far this fall has loved our little afternoon adventures. It might not be for everyone, but under certain circumstance I think "truck hunting" is completely justifiable.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:25 PM

I completely agree with those posts above. I have zero disdain for "truck hunters" who abide by the law. I'll leave it at that. I'm relatively new to big game hunting, and I'm young and able enough to prefer chasing the critters under my own steam. That's just the way I love to hunt, can't imagine any other way. One day, I might be relegated to a vehicle to pursue my passion, and don't pass judgment on those who do...
I contributed to an earlier post relating an experience I had with some poachers recently. I never called them "truck hunters". In my mind they are "poachers" plain and simple. It may have been construed that way. I apologize for contributing to derailing a good thread. It was not my intent.
Happy hunting to all the hunters out there!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Gone Hunting

This is a difficult one for me to agree with.
Yes I know a few folks that could not reasonably be expected to walk cutlines for miles. Some who are able to feed their families thanks to a truck or car + a rifle.

The problem I have is, among the folks who hunt this way, these are a very small minority. The majority of those I know who hunt this way are able bodies, middle aged men. A great many of them are in better physical shape then I am.
I have a bad back, and am close enough to touch a senior citizens title.
Please remember I am speaking about people I know personally. Not total strangers I caught a glimpse of through a screen of tree branches.

How do I voice support for the small part of the group without supporting the group as a whole?

I suppose the greatest problem I have with this way of hunting is that I still remember the sound of bullets zinging by my head as I sat in my car watching a Moose walk across the road in front of me. I could see the headlights of a vehicle about four hundred yards beyond that Moose, what I could not see was a young man standing beside that truck pointing a rifle at that Moose, and me.
And yes, I was on a hunting trip too. I had seen the Moose in the bush at the side of the road and stopped to WATCH it. I could have gotten out and shot it long before the other driver saw it. I did not.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:07 AM

I personally dont have a problem with truck hunters as long as they are playing by the rules. It is a method of covering ground...would you classify quad hunters as the same?? yes or no please explain.

I have trucked, quaded, walked, treestanded...each their own i guess. What your opinion on what a hunt should be might differ from anybody else's. Right or wrong...is there an answer?

As far as quality game i would think the advantage goes to a guy that is in stealth mode with scents, treestands, cameras other than the odd guy that gets lucky truck hunting...this last statement is for quality not quantity.

I am just thinking out loud here, but for the people that have a hate on for truck hunters if they walked all morning and didnt see anything and then on their drive home seen a respectable animal on crown land, would they hesitate to get out and down the animal??? maybe some would maybe some wouldnt...i think most would

Alot of good views in the posts above and either way you feel what defines a hunt i can respect that...good luck to all this year whether road or stealth huntin
Old 11-06-2010, 03:09 AM

Oh and welcome to the forum "Great Outdoors"
Old 11-06-2010, 04:10 AM

I don't like bow hunters, I don't like rifle hunters, I don't like Magnum rifle hunters, I don't like crossbow hunters, I don't like guys who bait, I don't like guys who use quads, GPS's ae cheating, you should only have a compass, I don't like elitist horse hunters, I don't like meat hunters, I don't like trophy humters, I don't like long range shooters, I don't like running shot shooters,

YADDA YADDA YADDA...

Welcome to high school....
Old 11-06-2010, 04:15 AM

I don't like truck hunting either... I find them very gamey tasting with to much petroleum aftertaste. I can't even stomach truck sausage.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
I don't like truck hunting either... I find them very gamey tasting with to much petroleum aftertaste. I can't even stomach truck sausage.
Thats too funny
Old 11-06-2010, 07:03 AM

i think i want to try truck sausage?
Old 11-06-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
I don't like bow hunters, I don't like rifle hunters, I don't like Magnum rifle hunters, I don't like crossbow hunters, I don't like guys who bait, I don't like guys who use quads, GPS's ae cheating, you should only have a compass, I don't like elitist horse hunters, I don't like meat hunters, I don't like trophy humters, I don't like long range shooters, I don't like running shot shooters,

YADDA YADDA YADDA...

Did you even bother to read the posts in this thread, or did you just read the title and make an assumption?
Old 11-06-2010, 08:12 AM
waylow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
This is just the dodges and fords with this taste. Try a nice foreign job and you'll enjoy it.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post

YADDA YADDA YADDA...

Right on

I don't like truck huntin cause they are expensive and car sales men annoy me
Old 11-06-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
Did you even bother to read the posts in this thread, or did you just read the title and make an assumption?
Read every single post...

I don't believe truck hunting is O.K. only for the crippled, old, those with children, etc etc.

I have no issues with any "able bodied person" or otherwise truck hunting....

Do as you please,...and if that is truck hunting, have at it. I don't need for any truckhunter to justify himself to me, or qualify anyone as being "the exception" so as to make it O.K. for them to truck hunt.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:02 AM

I am wondering just a vote Yes or No kind of thing

I walked a minimum of 10 miles yesterday. We walked 3 or so the morning DaJimmer got his mulie this week, and had we had a chance on land that we had permission on, to do it without the walk I am sure we would have. I love the walking but are those who speak so firmly against so called road hunters truly so Elite or are they Fibber's?

My son has a foot problem he has had many surgerys and over 50 sets of casts in his life he walks in spite of pain but that may not be so easy down the road I wonder how many sanctamonious, self righteous people would comment or pass judgement on him?

I also wonder how many of you elitests become Liars when the Buck or bull crosses the road to get to the otherside. If it's legal it's legal
Old 11-06-2010, 09:04 AM

Great we are discussion the hunters inequivalent to religion again.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
I am wondering just a vote Yes or No kind of thing

I walked a minimum of 10 miles yesterday. We walked 3 or so the morning DaJimmer got his mulie this week, and had we had a chance on land that we had permission on, to do it without the walk I am sure we would have. I love the walking but are those who speak so firmly against so called road hunters truly so Elite or are they Fibber's?

My son has a foot problem he has had many surgerys and over 50 sets of casts in his life he walks in spite of pain but that may not be so easy down the road I wonder how many sanctamonious, self righteous people would comment or pass judgement on him?

I also wonder how many of you elitests become Liars when the Buck or bull crosses the road to get to the otherside. If it's legal it's legal

Well said, Sir.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:29 AM

Default lets stay on topic

Come on guys lets stay on topic here!

Morb
Old 11-06-2010, 10:55 AM

First off. Thank you "ishootbambi" for not canning this post before 20 people had a chance to comment.

Second off. Quads are not trucks. They take you to places trucks cant go. Bullets dont usually wizz by other quads.... Nuff said on this..

Thirdly, the commentary from above is great and goes onto reinforce that hunting in all its forms, is a desirable sport that has the potential to appeal to everyone. There is always going to be the "dumb bell" who ruins it for everyone (which is true for even this post). Never the less, my opinion from my "white topped elitist castle" has changed. Some folks need a truck to partake in hunting. I would joyfully hunt from a truck with anyone unable to walk, if it meant they could experience the same perspirating, heartpounding, sphincter tightening joy I get, when I pull the trigger.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
my first thought was to close this before it gets stupid. by the time i got to the bottom i had changed my mind. i know 2 old guys who hunt in the area i do in saskatchewan who are kinda that way. this fall they will be 93 and 91. my buddy and i have dragged out 2 good bucks for those guys in places they didnt used to shoot them. when we first heard that, we told them next time they see a buck down there they shoot first and then call us. at their age, i know they arent going to be there one year.....i hope this isnt the year. i also know that one day my buddy and i will be those 2 old guys. i cant wait to get this thing started. only 8 more days. i figure i have about 30 more years of trudging up and down them hills before i convert.
Didin't evem know you were a mod...
Old 11-06-2010, 11:29 AM

My father falls into the same category. Hes "paid his dues" by trudging through bush, freezing his butt off, and walking miles upon miles. However, now the man is old. His body is just now starting to push back after years of football and abuse. Unfortunately, and against his will, utilizing his pickup is now the only way he can get out to enjoy any sort of hunting. Things that I dont even think about such as stepping over a fallen log, or taking a shot for that matter are no longer physically easy for him. I feel for my paps, but at the same time admire the fact he still at least tries to get out and join in in the event.

Where I do have a problem is when I see guys in their 20's or 30's that are more than physically able, driving their vehicles through land that I either own or have permission on and am currently hunting. Seems that guys that spend most the time driving feel the permission rule doesnt apply to them because they are in and out in minutes.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:33 PM

Default well said..

[I walked a minimum of 10 miles yesterday. We walked 3 or so the morning DaJimmer got his mulie this week, and had we had a chance on land that we had permission on, to do it without the walk I am sure we would have. I love the walking but are those who speak so firmly against so called road hunters truly so Elite or are they Fibber's?

I also wonder how many of you elitests become Liars when the Buck or bull crosses the road to get to the otherside. If it's legal it's legal[/QUOTE]

Have you ever seen the medical form and application from F&W to try and be able hunt with a disability from a quad.....Big bold letters "must be para-palegic or a quadrapeligic" just because age and arthritis and other problems make the things you used to enjoy almost impossible, it does not matter.So I'm OK with the older generation doing the best they can to enjoy the things that matter.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Outdoors View Post
First off. Thank you "ishootbambi" for not canning this post before 20 people had a chance to comment.

im not anyone of any authority around here.....just another guy with an opinion.

my strongest opinion is that hunters need to stop bashing each other at every opportunity. the title concerned me, but so far so good.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Banned

My opinion is that as long as its legal then im not going to bad mouth someone for it. In the past I may have but if you look at the big picture what are they really hurting(we had 2 truck hunters drive right through where we were hunting opening evening, day 2 the wife shot a 179gross typical B/C deer so what did them guys hurt?).
Sure guys get mad that some guy in a truck ruined their hunt just like it was completly intentional... well ive had a hunt "disturbed" by, trucks,hikers,aircraft,farmers,quaders,horse guys,hunters walking, bird hunters when im big game hunting, oilfield personal, fishermen and many many other things but in the end most werent doing anything illegal and they all had as much right as me to be there, and im sure most of them didnt intentionaly disturbed me. We dont own the bush so we just have to accept that others dont do everything the same as we do. And if they do something illegal(which isnt just truck hunters) then do something about it dont just complain on a chat forum.
It is about the person enjoying their experience. And that isnt for the rest of us to judge. If this includes a truck then so be it.
Koodos to anyone that gets out there and enjoys it no matter how you may do it.

SG
Old 11-06-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
My opinion is that as long as its legal then im not going to bad mouth someone for it. In the past I may have but if you look at the big picture what are they really hurting(we had 2 truck hunters drive right through where we were hunting opening evening, day 2 the wife shot a 179gross typical B/C deer so what did them guys hurt?).
Sure guys get mad that some guy in a truck ruined their hunt just like it was completly intentional... well ive had a hunt "disturbed" by, trucks,hikers,aircraft,farmers,quaders,horse guys,hunters walking, bird hunters when im big game hunting, oilfield personal, fishermen and many many other things but in the end most werent doing anything illegal and they all had as much right as me to be there, and im sure most of them didnt intentionaly disturbed me. We dont own the bush so we just have to accept that others dont do everything the same as we do. And if they do something illegal(which isnt just truck hunters) then do something about it dont just complain on a chat forum.
It is about the person enjoying their experience. And that isnt for the rest of us to judge. If this includes a truck then so be it.
Koodos to anyone that gets out there and enjoys it no matter how you may do it.

SG
Preach it brotha!
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 11-06-2010, 02:46 PM

If a truck hunter "ruins" your hunt then go somewhere they can't. Buy your own land. Help a farmer put up a fence on the off season to keep guys out. Post a few signs. Lots of complaining going on. I agree with you Sheepguide. A hunt may be disturbed in many ways but hard to say it was ruined. Glad to see it wrecked your wifes hunt this year Still in Awe about that deer. Can it get any better?
Old 11-06-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post

l
\

I have hunted birds with Don's son, and I can tell you that he is one tough SOB when it comes to putting the miles on, even though he has a seriously bad foot!
There is no question in my mind that he is a candidate for a doc's letter stating he can hunt from a vehicle, but he is the last person I think I would ever see applying for a disabled permit, because he is not totally disabled - I'm sure he will tel yopu he just has to rest at times.....
Cat
Old 11-06-2010, 03:00 PM

To Summarize...

Thus far it seems that if you have paid your dues, are with children, or are disabled you have the ammo to shoot from your truck.

If your 20-30 yrs old and paid for your booze, you shouldnt hunt from a truck.

Dont think this post has solved anything and I appologize for getting it started. I just wanted to suggest that not every "truck hunter" is evil. This a big step for me and maybe its because Im softening with age. Never the less... Thanks for your thoughts.