Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-10-2010, 04:22 PM

Default m1 carbine

So i just bought a mint m1 carbine from a gun shop in quebec for 25 dollars guy said he just wanted it out of the shop since its restricted now is there any way i can make this gun non restricted such as putting a little longer barrel ? any info would be great
Old 11-10-2010, 04:59 PM

OHHHHH Man GREAT DEAL

I am pretty sure you can change the barrel out to make it a non But.....

you need this aswell!!!!

http://www.fabsports.ca/sage-garand-...e=URL_LANGUAGE
Old 11-10-2010, 05:30 PM

Default .

man if that wasn't so crazy in price i would buy that right away
Old 11-10-2010, 05:37 PM

Cmon its only 1000 bucks after taxes and shipping!!! lol
Old 11-10-2010, 06:02 PM

Why would you ever want to put a plastic pos stock like that on a classic rifle like the
m1a? Definately not my cup of tea! good find for 25$.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:08 PM

Default .

so does anyone know where i can get a longer barrel so i can use it for deer and one other thing i have 2 20 round unpinned mags for this gun do i have to get them pinned or can i just leave them as is and go out and buy some pinned one for shooting
Old 11-10-2010, 07:56 PM

disassemble the mags and they become legal, as parts. i would recomend a shorter mag for hunting so it doesn't snag on everything.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seano11 View Post
so does anyone know where i can get a longer barrel so i can use it for deer and one other thing i have 2 20 round unpinned mags for this gun do i have to get them pinned or can i just leave them as is and go out and buy some pinned one for shooting
Finding a non-restricted barrel is a chore. Watch gunshows, or the net. A shop in BC will also line the original with a liner thats long enough. The mags are prohib if they arent pinned, so like Bingo said disassemble them NOW and get them pinned. You may just want to sell it as restricted, and buy a nonrestricted one to save you the hassle.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:36 PM

Not sure if it's legal anymore, but at one time you could just put a permanent extension on the barrel to bring it up to non restricted length.

Grizz
Old 11-10-2010, 10:40 PM

no that is no good anymore, at one time it was though
Old 01-14-2011, 02:12 AM

Default M1 Carbine.

So just to get this straight. And I don't have any sarcasm when I say this either. You want to take a carbine and mak it a full length rifle. It is an M1 Carbine you have right? It sounds like you got a smokin deal and don't wish to spend alot of money on the rifle. Keep as the collectors piece that it is or trade it off. Find an M1 Garand or a Chinese M14 (Norinco / Polytech) these are cheaper alternatives to this style of rifle. The higher end M1A's are nice but then your in the $1800 - $2000 mark. The Chinese rifles are good for 200m - 300m Not great but that model of rifle is a work horse by design.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:43 PM

An M1 Carbine and an M1 Garand (or M1A) are two different animals. Google each and you will see the differences.

To the OP: try 'bits of pieces' in BC he may be able to make a non-restricted barrel for your carbine. I know he has done it for other restricted carbines.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:11 PM

Congratulations on your purchase! Who was the manufacturer of your M1 Carbine? Regardless, you got a great deal.

Definitely call Barry at Bits and Pieces --- he's the only gunsmith that I know currently extending barrels. The CFC has tightened the definition of barrel length and the only way to de-restrict an M1 Carbine is to either replace the barrel with a non-restricted length commercial carbine barrel (good luck finding one!) or having the USGI-length barrel re-lined. Barry does the relining, and I believe the cost is upwards of $250-$300.

If your M1 Carbine is a non-collector grade, it's well worth getting the barrel extended. However, if you have a rare M1 Carbine, I would think twice about altering it. Perhaps if you posted some details the members here can stear you in the right direction.

As far as the unpinned magazines go, get them pinned ASAP --- it'll take you 5 minutes with a drill and rivet. Even disassembling them may not render them a non-prohibited item (there was a case in BC where the magazine shell was sufficient to convict).

Addendum: Opps, didn't realize this post was originally from November. Still, Barry's the man to call.