Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2011, 07:33 PM

Default Transporting liquor in a car?

Someone told me that it is agaist the law to transport liquor/beer inside a car and that it has to be put in the trunk.

I say you can transport it inside the car eg: backseat provided that the container has never been opened.

Anyone here know for sure what the law is regarding this?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:38 PM

We wondering this to i thought if it still sealed that was ok anywhere in cab. Kinda hard put beer back of a pickup when it -20 out.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:41 PM

I do believe there is not supposed to be any alcohol in the cab, unopened or not.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:43 PM

Yes it can be in the cab but cannot be opened.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:44 PM

I thought during the reign of Sir Ralph legislation was passed allowing passengers in a vehicle to drink as long as driver didn't?
Open beer liquor in a vehicle was an offense when I lived in Ontario.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned

it can be in the cab... but the law states... it must be sealed and it cannot be within reach of the driver
Old 01-09-2011, 07:49 PM

Two years ago, I was driving from my sister in laws to my father in laws in sherwood park. My wife and FIL was in the truck. There was a milk crate in the back of the extended cab truck next to my wife with some wine and a few other bottles.

Some of those bottles had been opened. I had 3 drinks over about 7 hours and was more than fine to drive. (I was really behaving because I was at the in-laws)

Long story short, a lady from MAD was freaking out on me with the police officer standing next to her in my window. My FIL is next to me and not thrilled about being pulled over. This was a checkstop and were stopping everyone.

They confiscated everything because it was in the cab of the truck and a few bottles had been opened. They said I had access to the booze, and that it should have been in the box of the truck. They let me keep a bottle of scotch that my sister in law brought back from a recent trip to England. The crate was out of my reach, but that wasn't enough for the cop.

I said I had no means of tying it down in the box but didn't want to argue because I had consumed a measure of alchohol and didn't want to cause myself further problems etc.

So... since then, I stil have a pickup, but I have a tupperware container in my box now with bungee cords tying it down with a few towels inside. Not worth arguing, because if you argue with a LEO, it usually doesn't result in a win for the guy pulled over.

I recieved a $250.00 ticket and lost about $300.00 worth of booze. If you have a car, put it in the trunk!!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:50 PM

Liquor can't be within easy reach of the driver. Needs to be in the trunk of the car, or box of the truck. In the case of a mini van in the back.

Consumption in vehicles
84 Except as otherwise provided for in this Act or in a liquor
licence, no person may consume liquor in a vehicle unless, when
the liquor is being consumed, the vehicle is a temporary residence.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1202 View Post
it can be in the cab... but the law states... it must be sealed and it cannot be within reach of the driver
that's right,I had a buddy that got stopped a few years ago and ticketed for open liquor he went to court and beat it,it was in the back seat of his truck and wasn't opened,and he had a receipt for 5 minutes earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1202 View Post
That's what I was thinking.

Buddy told me that it has to be in the trunk or in the box of a pickup truck.

So I ask him about SUV drivers,they don't have a trunk or a box.lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
I thought during the reign of Sir Ralph legislation was passed allowing passengers in a vehicle to drink as long as driver didn't?
Open beer liquor in a vehicle was an offense when I lived in Ontario.
This is kind of a grey area...you can not have open liquor in a vehicle the exception being a re corked btl of wine from a restaurant... if you buy liquor from the vendors put it in the trunk or as far away from the driver as possible and keep the receipt in the bag or case...some restaurants allow you to bring in UNOPENED wine to have with your meal and charge you a corkage fee. Again keep it out of sight and away from the driver. No you cant drink as a passenger either..... this is off the top of my head
Old 01-09-2011, 07:55 PM

Open liquor is obviously a no-no; but with the variety of vehicles out there it's hard to legislate a precise storage location when some vehicles don't have a trunk or cargo box in the first place. From my one experience when we were
young and the RCMP pulled us over nearing Sicamous for my buddies horrible driving; we were polite and showed the officer our booze that was in a cooler buried inaccessible under luggage in the hatchback. If you're sober and not pushing any other hot buttons for the officer, it should be all OK. In the noted incident we were radioed in by a bus driver for passing on the shoulder ( I noted he drove badly ), so we could have expected a harsher treatment from that officer, but were were all in order otherwise, so it wss just a ticket for buddy's speeding and off we went.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:58 PM

when talking to the officer, he said that if it had been opened, to put it in a container that would be difficult to open while driving, like a backpack or something like that.

I learned some lessons that night and paid the fine.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
That's what I was thinking.

Buddy told me that it has to be in the trunk or in the box of a pickup truck.

So I ask him about SUV drivers,they don't have a trunk or a box.lol
yeah if u have an suv if its in the back or even sitting on the back seat im sure it would be fine... as long as the officer knows you arent drinking it im sure it would be fine
Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Banned

Don't tell the cop you have it, And don't leave it in plain sight.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:28 PM

I always chuckle at the armchair quarterbacks that seem to know the law and continue to post incorrect or misleading information.

Section 87.1(2)(b) Of the Gaming and Liquor Regulation:
"Transporting liquor in vehicle when liquor is w/i easy access of an occupant"
$115 fine.

Cant be w/i easy reach of an anyone. Period.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:35 PM

So where would I put my booze in my imprezza wagon with 4 ppl in the car? The back passengers would still be able to reach the booze in the back area of the car.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
So where would I put my booze in my imprezza wagon with 4 ppl in the car? The back passengers would still be able to reach the booze in the back area of the car.
Put it as far away from the back passengers as you can, in the bag from the liquor store. If it's opened, well, put it in a backpack or something like that. Just do your best to follow the law and that's about all a person can do!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
Yep. I have spent many hours sitting with the local Peace Officers watching the liquor store to make sure booze goes where it is supposed to. 99% of people know where to put it which is good.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 PM

I was stopped in a suzuki samurai with 3 dozen beer on the lap of the passenger and 10 dozen on the back seat...

The cop said it doesn't look very good....

We said that we found a liquor store in Edmonton that sold Schooner so we stocked up.

He shook his head and said don't crack a single one and have a better plan for transporting alcohol in the future.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:46 PM

Smart Car yuppies are in trouble...
Old 01-09-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
I was stopped in a suzuki samurai with 3 dozen beer on the lap of the passenger and 10 dozen on the back seat...
Must have been a good party...
Old 01-09-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I always chuckle at the armchair quarterbacks that seem to know the law and continue to post incorrect or misleading information.

$115 fine.

Please point out the in accuracies in my post..I would like to know as I wouldn't want to be in error
Old 01-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
hmm
Old 01-09-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:

$115 fine.

Maybe post the whole section as there has been people asking about open wine etc....

87.1(1) Liquor may be transported under section 83 of the Act only in accordance with this section.

(2) Except as otherwise provided for in the Act or in a liquor licence, no person may

(a) transport liquor unless the liquor is in a container that is capped, corked or otherwise closed, whether or not the container has been previously opened;

(b) transport liquor in a vehicle if the liquor is within easy access of an occupant of the vehicle.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Maybe post the whole section as there has been people asking about open wine etc....
You just did.....and I was simply responding to the OP's post about transporting in the cab of a vehicle. It doesnt matter what kind of liquor it is...cannot be w/i easy reach of an occupant.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:19 PM

Beer gets put on the floor or seat of my truck, If the case is opened it will put on the floor.
Been pulled over many times at check stops and been asked why the beer is not in the box of the truck. I say the box of the truck is for tools and materials not consumables. Mixing consumables with non consumables is a no no. Getting the beer box smelling like diesel fuel is a real big no no in my house hold.
Never had a problem, then again I don't drink and drive.
I did have one officer push the issue, I said see you in court about this matter, she then tried to give me a sealt belt fine as I removed it to get my registration from the glove box. I was fully stopped and the vehicle was in park prior to removing my belt. She also said she smelt I had booze on me and thought I was drunk.
I explained to the Officer that I wished for my truck to be impounded and for the vehicle computers be checked for the time before and after the vehicle was stopped and to see when the seat belt was removed. She laughed and said no way they could do that (tell if the vehicle was stopped or seat belt removed). I said why don't we get the Computer guys on the phone from Chrysler to see if they could. Of course if it all come out in her favour I would have to pay the whole cost of the fines associated with the tickets, impounding and Computer Techs work ($5000 at the time for them). Or if she was wrong I sue here for wrongfully accussing me of not wearing a seatbelt and insinuating that I was drunk while driving.
She told me to have a good night and go directly home.

I smiled and said you have a good night to Officer.

No fine and no further problems.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Banned

In our area last year... there was zero tolerance for alcohol in the vehicle. The people with suv's had to dump there's even though it was in the very back of the vehicle. And yes with car's and trucks it has to be in the trunk or the box of the truck.......And you also have to be able to produce a reciept for your liquor.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.SheepGuide View Post
In our area last year... there was zero tolerance for alcohol in the vehicle. The people with suv's had to dump there's even though it was in the very back of the vehicle. And yes with car's and trucks it has to be in the trunk or the box of the truck.......And you also have to be able to produce a reciept for your liquor.
GF got stopped in town (Caroline) in Nov. at a F&W checkstop after leaving the liquor store (getting beer for me of course) and she had it in the back seat of the truck. Let her go through, but was told don't do that again, it has to be in the box.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
Liquor can't be within easy reach of the driver. Needs to be in the trunk of the car, or box of the truck. In the case of a mini van in the back.

Consumption in vehicles
84 Except as otherwise provided for in this Act or in a liquor
licence, no person may consume liquor in a vehicle unless, when
the liquor is being consumed, the vehicle is a temporary residence.
WRONG , liquor can be transported in any vehicle truck cab or whatever , as long as its in a bag with receipt unopened.
lf l am also wrong , then why dont the cops just sit outside a liquer store and pinch every one that buys booze , they all put it in the vehicle beside them , suvs seen it put in the back door , trucks never seen anyone put it in an open box for thieves or to freeze if its beer.

Last edited by Jimboy; 01-10-2011 at 02:48 AM.