Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2011, 03:34 PM

Default Training/Working Out

Just wondering how many of you guys on here work out or train. Just wondering what ways people like to workout, running, weights, bodyweight exercises, crossfit... also if you train in any Martial Arts. If you take supplements id be interested in knowing what you take and how you enjoy them.

I am taking private Mixed martial Arts lessons and love them, i also do lots of high repetition body weight training. I have been trying the MuscleTech products. Im using naNO Vapour, Halo and NitroTech. Just started using them and dont mind them so far but time will tell about results.

Interested in hearing your methods to staying physically fit!!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:01 PM

I train 5 nights a week at Hardcore gym in Edmonton right after work,Have been for the last 11 Years 90% weight trainning. Do 30 minutes of carido 2 times a week.Just take Mussle milk protien powder. and glutemine. Don't take any other supplements have to watch that road can be very expensive,It is probably cheaper to take Gear than than all the supplemnts that you would have to take to get same results LOL.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:29 PM

There is a new supplements store in Ellerslie called Gaurenteed Nutrition. The owner is a professional body builder who was sick of all the crap sold and started his own company. He's the guy to talk to if your looking for good info.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:07 PM

I've been slacking of late, but normally head to the gym this time of year for a mix of cardio and weights. Warmer weather calls for hikes in the mtns and hitting the local hill with a weighted pack. Just last week I was out of town for work and joined a guy at his local boxing club and took part in one of their cardio workouts - now that was a ton of fun and a great workout.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 AM

I run and do weights at least twice a week, i really try and get 3 workouts in. I'm lucky in that we have a gym here in our office so i can jump in when my schedule allows me too.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:39 AM

Thumbs up

I was going to the gym steady... 5 days a week... 2-3 hours a day.... and went from 279 pounds to 212pounds in about 5 - 6 months ... I was eating 7 times a day... and using Whey-isolate, glutamine, and on heavy lift cycles i was using SuperPump250. Also a good mens multi vitamin, vitamin D And Purple K.

Then............

..... I became Lead turnpike driver at work and moved to dayshift.......That was last April...... and for some reason I cannot get on a schedule... and shot back up to 251 pounds.

Im going to go back.... As I loved it... Those that are looking for rapid weight loss... I have a routine that a trainer put together for me at a good cost and would be willing to share.

BTW... Muscletech brand gets you paying for a name..... did you know that Six Star Muscle at walmart is the same product? Made by the same people?? for 2/3 less cost?

But.,.................. as the trainer pointed out to me......... Costco has a really good whey protien isolate in a huge 5 pound( i believe) tub ..... massive...... In vanilla or chocolate... and its a good quality product with no big names, for only $40 Most supplement shops for that amount of same quality protien you pay about that much for 2 pounds.

Eat Eat Grow!

damn now i miss the gym
Old 02-03-2011, 08:42 AM

for those interested... i could post a pic after work of the costco protien if someone reminds me... so you get the right one.. They have some that arent Isolate
Old 02-03-2011, 08:54 AM

you guys all must be younger than me for sure . No protiens except wild meat and fish . Mixed martial arts weekly , hiking , walking the dog , biking , and manual labour
Old 02-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Default Supplement

I just bought some of the costco stuff yesterday, it is excellent with milk, but you intend on loosing weight as well, it is also good with water and frozen berries.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:09 AM

I am a Crossfit junky and the only supplements that I take are whey protien after the workout and fish oil to balance the Omega 3-6 ratio in my diet I also follow the paleo diet also and it helps keep you balanced and feeling great.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
I was going to the gym steady... 5 days a week... 2-3 hours a day.... and went from 279 pounds to 212pounds in about 5 - 6 months ... I was eating 7 times a day... and using Whey-isolate, glutamine, and on heavy lift cycles i was using SuperPump250. Also a good mens multi vitamin, vitamin D And Purple K.

Then............

..... I became Lead turnpike driver at work and moved to dayshift.......That was last April...... and for some reason I cannot get on a schedule... and shot back up to 251 pounds.

Im going to go back.... As I loved it... Those that are looking for rapid weight loss... I have a routine that a trainer put together for me at a good cost and would be willing to share.

BTW... Muscletech brand gets you paying for a name..... did you know that Six Star Muscle at walmart is the same product? Made by the same people?? for 2/3 less cost?

But.,.................. as the trainer pointed out to me......... Costco has a really good whey protien isolate in a huge 5 pound( i believe) tub ..... massive...... In vanilla or chocolate... and its a good quality product with no big names, for only $40 Most supplement shops for that amount of same quality protien you pay about that much for 2 pounds.

Eat Eat Grow!

damn now i miss the gym

I actually did know that. I have used the SixStar Protein powder before. Im only using the Muscle Tech products because the guy that trains me for MMA bought a bunch of the stuff in Edmonton because it was an amazing deal. I got the MuscleTech NitroTech for less that what i would get the SixStar Whey Protein for. I appreciate the reminder though. Also if anyone is looking for a good deal on a mass gainer, i would recommend Mutant Mass as it is a good product and also comes in 5 and i believe 15 pound bags for a good price.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 AM

Hey Bigbore is that workout one you could do at home with minimal/basic equipment or do you need a full gym? either way I would be interested in it.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:19 AM

Default Cardio!

I moved here from BC September 1st and weighed in at 210. Started at Snap fitness and am now at 183. Basic goal of being in the same shape as when I graduated 3 years ago. From my experience of being out, then in, then out and now working back into shape if you hit cardio hard with as much running as possible then once you are back to a lean weight you can start a rigorous weight program. Its the same concept for life "build a strong foundation and the house will stand forever" sort of idea. Dont cut short and hop into a weight routine too early or you will stop doing cardio and while building muscle probably start storing fat again.

Good work on the routines guys!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:37 PM

I train Muay Thai twice a week, and spend weekends ice climbing and mountain biking. No supplements unless you class deer sausage as a supplement? Spent a month and a half for the last 2 springs at tiger Muay Thai in Thailand for intensive training. What a beautiful place!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
Hey Bigbore is that workout one you could do at home with minimal/basic equipment or do you need a full gym? either way I would be interested in it.
Im on my fifth week of p90x. I would recomend it to everyone. It keeps you interested, you only need a chin up bar and some dumbbells, and it works cardio, strength, flexabiltiy, stamina and builds lean muscle. You can do it in your living room or in a hotel. The p90x diet is big facter to feeling and looking good. I don't use many suppliments, only whey Isolate from costco, multivitamins, grape juice after workouts. in 5 weeks I went from 235 to 220lbs with a loss of 10% body fat.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
Im on my fifth week of p90x. I would recomend it to everyone. It keeps you interested, you only need a chin up bar and some dumbbells, and it works cardio, strength, flexabiltiy, stamina and builds lean muscle. You can do it in your living room or in a hotel. The p90x diet is big facter to feeling and looking good. I don't use many suppliments, only whey Isolate from costco, multivitamins, grape juice after workouts. in 5 weeks I went from 235 to 220lbs with a loss of 10% body fat.
yup I have been ding p90X as well..although I am a bit bored with it now..always looking for something new to try and mix it up a little...

have you been doing your pot stirrers lol..."german potato soup"....
Old 02-04-2011, 07:50 PM

Just started week 5 of P90X started 214 lbs, now 206 lbs, doing the exercises every day but not following the diet very well. Tweaked my back the first day of Yoga doing the Plough.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
No... but I do know of one that my cousin does at home using minimal equipment called the 300 Workout.... he does it intense though... switching it up daily... and the most he lost was 7 pounds in one week.

I do know of a diet that you WILL lose 14 pounds in one week.... but i dont think its a healthy thing to do alot..... as its for rapid weight loss for people that cant have surgery without losing weight first.

BTW Clash.... ill send u the workout I lost so much weight on before i stopped going due to work change...... like you asked. Just really busy this weekend and ill have to type it out from my workout book
Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteChallenger View Post
I actually did know that. I have used the SixStar Protein powder before. Im only using the Muscle Tech products because the guy that trains me for MMA bought a bunch of the stuff in Edmonton because it was an amazing deal. I got the MuscleTech NitroTech for less that what i would get the SixStar Whey Protein for. I appreciate the reminder though. Also if anyone is looking for a good deal on a mass gainer, i would recommend Mutant Mass as it is a good product and also comes in 5 and i believe 15 pound bags for a good price.
I was just trying to say in general to everyone, lol. SIXSTAR tastes so good too.

Gaspari still makes the best tasting Pre workout supp drink mixes IMHO... other than NOshotgun in Watermelon MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Old 02-04-2011, 09:40 PM

Congrats, guys.
(I think about working out everyday, but my belly is too fat to do that)
Old 02-04-2011, 09:44 PM

I think this is a great topic!!!!! I have a spinal condition called Spondylolisthesis. To hard to explain, but good definition on the internet.

If I don't keep in half decent shape the pain in my legs and back are almost unbearable, and I don't plan on giving up archery hunting and fishing anytime soon. :-)

My exercise routines vary throughout the year.

I bike to work year round. 15 km each way, but the kicker is the 4 km hill. Downhill to work, so uphill on the way home.

During the months of October - March - indoor sports....dodgeball, volleyball, floor hockey, etc. 2 -3 nights a week.

December to April is free weight and boxing routine. Intensity of free weight routine will vary every year depending on how much mass I want for my summer sports.

From April to September - back catcher for 2 fastball teams and play men's flag football. This takes up 3 - 5 nights a week, plus weekend tournaments.

My weight will fluctuate between 180 - 198 year round. I stand 5' 7". I do not take any supplements, but watch what I eat, now that I am almost 40. :-)

Aerobic kick boxing a few years ago for 8 weeks 3 to 5 nights a week, until I bruise my heel bone. But I gotta tell ya, nothing got my cardio as high as it was after that aerobic kick boxing. It was great!!!

I am always interested in new ways to stay in shape. Reading what other people do is very helpful.

My biggest challenges are keeping my core and cardio at a higher level. Keeping my core strong is key to reduce the pain in my back and legs. So always looking for new things to try.

Once again, great topic!!!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
I train Muay Thai twice a week, and spend weekends ice climbing and mountain biking. No supplements unless you class deer sausage as a supplement? Spent a month and a half for the last 2 springs at tiger Muay Thai in Thailand for intensive training. What a beautiful place!
Im thinking of joining the muay thai class at the team underground club here in medicine hat. i really enjoy the mixed martial arts in of the private lessons that i am talking but i think it would be fun to compete a little and i dont know how often they hold mixed martial arts competitions but i hear of kick boxing and muay thai competitions quite often.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE View Post
I train 5 nights a week at Hardcore gym in Edmonton right after work,Have been for the last 11 Years 90% weight trainning. Do 30 minutes of carido 2 times a week.Just take Mussle milk protien powder. and glutemine. Don't take any other supplements have to watch that road can be very expensive,It is probably cheaper to take Gear than than all the supplemnts that you would have to take to get same results LOL.
same training for me too,but I've been going for 15 years,tried alot of the suppelments out there over the years and now only take a little bit of protien powder.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:37 PM

Tramp through the bush like us oldtimers, eat wild meat with beans, bacon, & biscuits, built over campfire, and all of the bs that you pound into your body, thinking it will make you healthy, wealthy, and wise, is for the most part a pipedream. I can still whip up my 6'2, 230 lb son(brown belt karate), who is on all of the crap that everyone thinks will make them into Superman.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster92 View Post
I just bought some of the costco stuff yesterday, it is excellent with milk, but you intend on loosing weight as well, it is also good with water and frozen berries.
Me and wife picked up 6 cases of the premier nutrition premixed protien drinks and the kaizen protein at costco 2 weeks ago,both I think its the best tasting protein I've had.

timba
Old 02-05-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
No... but I do know of one that my cousin does at home using minimal equipment called the 300 Workout.... he does it intense though... switching it up daily... and the most he lost was 7 pounds in one week.

I do know of a diet that you WILL lose 14 pounds in one week.... but i dont think its a healthy thing to do alot..... as its for rapid weight loss for people that cant have surgery without losing weight first.

BTW Clash.... ill send u the workout I lost so much weight on before i stopped going due to work change...... like you asked. Just really busy this weekend and ill have to type it out from my workout book

Would be interested in the diet as well. Thanks