Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Default new to slave lake

Hey we have a cabin rented at joussard next week. Never been ice fishing up there before. Anyone have any suggestions on What to use to catch fish? hopefully there will be pics next week.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:31 PM

you will mostly be catching ling and walleye so stick to light line. you will catch more. i use 4 pound florocarbon leader and have never had a walleye ore ling break me off .jighead and minnow is the basic rig that works good. if they are not biting much try going to a smaller jig. i have had days where im using perch hooks and just a minnow head to get them to bite. glow hooks are good once the sun goes down. there is also quite a few whites so wire worms and maggots are also a good thing to bring. my new go to rig is fireline mainline tied to a swivel. i thread a baithook or wireworm up the fireline so it sits on the swivel. then a 2 -3 foot berkey vanish floro leader to my jighead or jigging spoon. this rig works because i fish with a flasher and i can see the whites are always hitting my swivel. this way you can catch the whites as well as walleye and ling. fish right off bottom. you might get lucky and tie into some huge perch as well. i had my shack there for 3 years and its a good spot. if your fishing in bernies shacks you should be on the fish and have a blast. he is a super cool old dude and has saved my bacon more than once. im heading to widewater by canyon creek tommorow and will post a report. good luck
Old 02-19-2011, 07:21 PM

Hey you got a phone number for thoes cabins
Old 02-19-2011, 08:27 PM

ladyhawk cabins 780-776-2390