Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2011, 04:51 PM

Default Engine troubles

I was just out trying to fish and couldnt get my motor to start. Its a late 70's Evinrude. 9.9 horse. If anyone has any thoughts or could recomend a good small engine mechanic in the Thorsby / Pigeon lake area it would be very muchly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:26 PM

If its been sitting for a period the culprit is probaly a fuel pump. They are a diphragm type and tend to dry out. Rule out ignition by pulling a plug and turning engine over and look for the arc (ground to engine). DO NOT GET WIFE OR GAL FRIEND TO HOLD IT. They never get over it. These are a very reliable engine and knowing the maintenance history, storage etc may get a better diagnose.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:02 PM

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Ramblings.html
Go here and scroll down till you see all the headings about the 9.9 and 15's. (the two are for the most part identical except for the carbs) I feel this is a "must read" for all OMC 9.9 owners.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680
Take a good look through these headings for anything you feel relates to your problem. Don't hesitate to ask a question on the Johnson/Evinrude forum as many experienced OMC marine fixers will be more than happy to lend a thought. It would be most helpful to know your model number as it determines the year of build. Hope this helps. Best of luck. Rick.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:07 PM

this is awsome guys. thank you so much. i cant believe how fast of response i got. again, thank you very very much!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:44 PM

Your more than welcome. Once you've checked a few things don't hesitate to drop me a line and I'll try to help. I have a 79 - 9.9 AND A 15 - 1982. Great engines. I will be heading to BC Monday for a week though. Going to do some lake fishing for trout. Rick.