Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-28-2011, 01:02 PM

Default Carson/McLeod Lake

Heading up to Carson-Pegasus for 5 days, I do not have my fly rod with me, have my 14' boat and fishing rod.
What works well in the lake ?
Any hot spots to look for?
Is there any nice hike's?
Was thinking of taking the mountains bikes up, is there any good trails?

Cheers
Old 06-28-2011, 01:06 PM

Always had really good luck up there trolling a willow-leaf with a mosquito fly about 1-1.5 feet behind it.....or same setup, sustitute fly with a tip of worm on it.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 06-28-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 PM

The normal casting items for trout- "panther martins" small "len thompson" spoons- my favorite is a smaller flasher with a leech (black or green) about 4 feet behind it. GL
Old 06-28-2011, 01:16 PM

In 1974 a fellow devloped a fly for Carson lake and he couldn't figure out what to call the fly so he figured he would call it after his old car so hence the name 52 buick..............green and black wooley bugger works well, green montana................green or black seems to be the best colors but other would disagree .........i can remember as a kid fishing this lake in the early 70s and i still use the same patterns, as far as hot spots fish are every where most likely in the deeper water now though.......but usually early in morning and at night you will get surfacing fish
Old 06-29-2011, 10:12 AM

I've always had lots of luck with tha smallest rapala countdown you can find not sure the number for size but its about 1 1/2" long. Rainbow, gold/black or silver/black. With or without willow leaf. Always had better luck on the big side of the lake.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:08 PM

Default carson

No7 Len thompson any color on light line trolled anywhere along the shoreline and you will do awesome, as far as trails go the place is littered with them and anywhere you go there are maps to hike by, great place to enjoy yourself but if you dont have a reserved site make sure you get there early as it often fills up.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:23 PM

Yes - the willow leaf will work, but it's not as fun. You don't feel the fish as much when you are reeling in all that hardware. You will do just fine without it.

I haven't fished Carson in the summer in years. I used to have good luck trolling a wetfly with a weighted line. It's also more fun bringing in fish with a fly reel.

Very small Canadian Wigglers or flatfish or whatever you want to call them work very well.

I'm sure that any sort of small lure will do the trick.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:35 PM

Small red devil, slow troll, or small rainbow pattern rappela, again slow troll, both killer.

C